lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
squirreldog
Not Yet Wild

Default 92 Carry All Ignition problem

Hey all. First time posting so hope I do this correctly.

I got a 92 Club Car CarryAll with the Kawasaki FE-290 engine in it. It had been sitting for years & I had acquired it as a tinkering project. I thought this would be really east to get running again, wrong!!

So, far it cranks over but no spark. After reading numerous posts about the coil or ignitor being blown, I just replaced them. The ignitor is from Golf Cart King& the coil I got from an EBAy store, its an EPI coil if anyone has heard of them.After replacing the coil & setting the gap to .12, I cranked the engine over , still no spark.
I contacted my nearest Club car dealer & requested the wiring diagram. What I have figured out is my problem lies in the ignition switch. With the key on, I have power to the red(power from fuse block), blue/yellow wire (oil light), but no power to the 2 white wires that go to the accel limiter switch & forward reverse switches. Thinking this was a faulty switch, I went to my nearest Club Car dealer & explained my problem. They agreed that I had a faulty switch & sold me a new one. I got it home & hooked it up with the same results.

Seems to me that the switch isn't giving power to the white wires to give power to the rev limiter & ignitor. If anyone has had this issue before & solution, I would be very much interested in what is going on & how to solve it. Thank you
squirreldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #2
squirreldog
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 92 Carry All Ignition problem

When the pedal is pressed down to started the engine, does the solenoid activate power to the orange wire, then closes the top accel limit switch. Green wire picks up the circuit & transfer it to the white wire when the transmission is in forward/reverse. Which goes through the bottom on the ignition switch (don't understand why this is). Then to the bottom accel switch/engine kill? Is this sequence correct?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Is this the wiring diagram you're using? I'm putting it up here to help us visualize what you're asking.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirreldog View Post
The ignitor is from Golf Cart King& the coil I got from an EBAy store
No idea on Club Car, but on Yamaha TCI and coils must be ONLY OEM, never those coming from China they are just garbage and a waste of money and time!!!
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
squirreldog
Not Yet Wild

I have a diagram from my club car dealer, yes looks a lot like that. Orange wire from soloniod to limit switch has power. There is no power going to the green wire when the throttle is depressed. Bad limit switch I presume.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #6
squirreldog
Not Yet Wild

That is an excellent wiring diagram springbok. Where is a good place to get micro switches?
Old 11-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

You are looking at the wrong system. What you've looked at there is along the starter system, not the spark system.
Try this: Find the RPM limiter (Small black box mounted on the front of the engine just above the oil drain plug). There should be a brown wire that goes from that box to an "eye" terminal at one of the hold down bolts. Disconnect that terminal and bend it out of the way or wrap it in tape to keep it from grounding out. See if it will run / have spark with that disconnected.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirreldog View Post
That is an excellent wiring diagram springbok. Where is a good place to get micro switches?
I suggest you find the problem before buying more parts. You've been tracking the wrong wiring for the problem you describe.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #9
squirreldog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
You are looking at the wrong system. What you've looked at there is along the starter system, not the spark system.
Try this: Find the RPM limiter (Small black box mounted on the front of the engine just above the oil drain plug). There should be a brown wire that goes from that box to an "eye" terminal at one of the hold down bolts. Disconnect that terminal and bend it out of the way or wrap it in tape to keep it from grounding out. See if it will run / have spark with that disconnected.
That is one of the first things I did. From what I have been told by the dealer that when the key switch is on, the blue/yellow wire & white wires should have power. I have decided that this is not true. The white wires get their power from the solenoid, orange, then green wire. If I am incorrect, please correct me. Brown wire from the rev limiter is disconnected & wrapped in electrical tape.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:43 AM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your wiring through the solenoid circuit is fine. That only sends power through the starter generator and has nothing to do with ignition spark. You've already stated that it cranks over, so that system is OK. Look carefully at the wiring diagram. At the ignition switch the red wire is 12v+, blue & yellow are 12v+ switched (only when ignition is on), White wire is the ignition kill wire. Black is ground. Ignition on there should be no continuity between black & white. Ignition off there should be full continuity between black & white to ground out the spark and stop the engine from running. Likewise you'll find a white with black tracer wire that runs up the passenger side of the engine that goes to the lower switch in the black control box (in the above diagram it looks gray) then continues on to the ignition switch with the white wire. When you step on the gas pedal that lower micro switch opens and allows the coil to spark. Let off the pedal and that switch closes - connecting to ground and grounding out the spark to let the engine stop.
On that white with black tracer wire there is a bullet connector near the oil dipstick tube. Unplug that and see if you get spark. That will disable almost all the kill switch wiring.

Last edited by meimk; 11-22-2017 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car