lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
freshdaymusic
Not Yet Wild

Default Another new guy asking the same governor questions but with a twist? [emoji1748]*[emo

I have spent a lot of time scouring your amazing forum for a while now. I’ve read and not posted until this week. I have a 1999 Yamaha G16 and I spent a couple of days making some of the talked about modifications...

I bypassed the governor and hooked the throttle cable directly to the carb. Adjusted the throttle pedal a couple of notches so that it pulled the butterfly completely open on full throttle application. I adjusted the pilot ratio screw and dialed that in. Now I have a cart that goes 20mph and has a smooth linear throttle response. The only thing, is that somewhere along the way of my adjustments I had amazing initial acceleration that was wonderful. But cart throttle was on or off. No in between. When I fixed that, my amazing acceleration went away. So two specific questions:

1. Anything else I should adjust to get more brisk acceleration?

2. Do I need to actually zip tie or do something to the governor now that it’s bypassed and no cables are even going to it? Does it need to be tied down or locked in one particular direction?

Cart is stock. Four seater, stock wheels and tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
freshdaymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
crs4040
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Another new guy asking the same governor questions but with a twist? [emoji1748]*

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshdaymusic View Post
I have spent a lot of time scouring your amazing forum for a while now. I’ve read and not posted until this week. I have a 1999 Yamaha G16 and I spent a couple of days making some of the talked about modifications...

I bypassed the governor and hooked the throttle cable directly to the carb. Adjusted the throttle pedal a couple of notches so that it pulled the butterfly completely open on full throttle application. I adjusted the pilot ratio screw and dialed that in. Now I have a cart that goes 20mph and has a smooth linear throttle response. The only thing, is that somewhere along the way of my adjustments I had amazing initial acceleration that was wonderful. But cart throttle was on or off. No in between. When I fixed that, my amazing acceleration went away. So two specific questions:

1. Anything else I should adjust to get more brisk acceleration?

2. Do I need to actually zip tie or do something to the governor now that it’s bypassed and no cables are even going to it? Does it need to be tied down or locked in one particular direction?

Cart is stock. Four seater, stock wheels and tires.

This might sound stupid but what’s the pilot ratio screw ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crs4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
freshdaymusic
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Another new guy asking the same governor questions but with a twist? [emoji1748]*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs4040 View Post
This might sound stupid but what’s the pilot ratio screw ?

I may not have the right name but it controls idle air/fuel mixture. Has a little plastic cap. I’m too new to post photos or links...

Old 03-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
crs4040
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
I may not have the right name but it controls idle air/fuel mixture. Has a little plastic cap. I’m too new to post photos or links...

Gotcha that’s what I thought you meant , I also have a g-16 I just tightened the nut on the governor all the way tight , and I still get great exceleration , never heard of bypassing the throttle cable before , getting 20mph on mine .

crs4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
freshdaymusic
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs4040 View Post
Gotcha that’s what I thought you meant , I also have a g-16 I just tightened the nut on the governor all the way tight , and I still get great exceleration , never heard of bypassing the throttle cable before , getting 20mph on mine .

I am getting about 21 mph but during my tweaking at one point I was getting brisk off the line acceleration. But at that point I only had on and off throttle...which I didn’t like so I completely bypassed the governor and hooked up the throttle cable directly to the carb. This gave me back a smooth throttle and allowed me to control my speed. But my brisk acceleration went away. This has been discussed a lot already on here, I just wasn’t sure if anyone had an idea of something else I should check to get that back?

Old 03-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
freshdaymusic
Not Yet Wild

Since I’m hearing crickets I’ve been continuing to scour the forum and net. Decided to pull the carb today, get a new float bowl o ring since the original was leaking, and completely cleaned the carb with cleaner. Removed jets and cleaned with cleaner. Clean everything really really good. Reinstalled carb, getting good acceleration and got a top speed of 26mph on stock wheels/rubber. Smooth idle, smooth acceleration. Very happy.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Dflowe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

My experience is that when you bypass the governor and hook the cables straight to the carburetor, you lose a lot of the throttle modulation that makes the cart smooth to drive. I would recommend putting the cables back as they were stock and drill out the governor arm so that the shaft spins freely inside it. That's what I did on my G22 and that's very similar to a G16. That mod gets me smooth driving, 30+ MPH and no backfiring. You didn't mention it, but backfiring will be an issue if the throttle plate doesn't close completely.
Dflowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #8
freshdaymusic
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dflowe View Post
My experience is that when you bypass the governor and hook the cables straight to the carburetor, you lose a lot of the throttle modulation that makes the cart smooth to drive. I would recommend putting the cables back as they were stock and drill out the governor arm so that the shaft spins freely inside it. That's what I did on my G22 and that's very similar to a G16. That mod gets me smooth driving, 30+ MPH and no backfiring. You didn't mention it, but backfiring will be an issue if the throttle plate doesn't close completely.

Good info. Thank you. I absolutely can do that as I kept all the cables and everything in order so I could reverse this mod if need be. I don’t have any backfiring at all because I did indeed adjust the throttle plate and cable so that it did close all the way when throttle was released but yet opened all the way when throttle was mashed. I have since had a long phone conversation with Don Plowman as many suggested on here and since my family in Michigan lives only 40 minutes from his shop, I will be having him install a performance kit on my cart and adjusting and replacing everything that needs it. Lift and tires/new rims are going on next week. When I’m all said and done, I should have a pretty nice cart that he says will give me thrills and will be super reliable and won’t stress the engine beyond its capabilities.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
. I have since had a long phone conversation with Don Plowman as many suggested on here and since my family in Michigan lives only 40 minutes from his shop, I will be having him install a performance kit on my cart and adjusting and replacing everything that needs it.
Excellent choice. You wont be disappointed!

I would not recommend drilling out the governor, that's not something reversible. Until you can get your rig to plowmans, adjust the pedal switch so it clicks as soon as you press the throttle. If it doesnt click until you're already st 1/3 throttle, that would cause your on/off throttle.

Or put the cables back in and reconnect the governor, just tighten the nut all the way down. You should still get close to 20mph out of it, but the governor will really help to smooth out the response.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you do or did drill out the governor speed limiter lever you can get a new one from Boats.net for $6.73. I ordered one for my cart when I started experimenting with modifying the governor. (J38-27951-00-00)

Good Luck

Robert
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha