lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
GoBeau
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1996 YAMAHA GAS G16 - Not Charging battery

Hello, I’m looking for some help with a 1996 Yamaha GAS G16 Golf Cart that is having a battery charging issue. We have changed the following parts so far (NEW not rebuilt):
1. Starter/Generator
2. Voltage Regulator
3. Battery
4. All NEW Belts

I’ve also been searching to download the complete service manual With no luck, only found a G22 manual. If someone knows where I can download the Service Manual in PDF format for free that would help to trace the possible charging issue. If anyone can help or recommend what could be the issue it would be greatly appreciated. The cart runs fine after charging the battery until the battery gets so low that the cart just dies where it is until the battery is recharged again. Thanking everyone who reads the post and tries to help. THANK YOU.
GoBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
beavertsreet
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1996 YAMAHA GAS G16 - Not Charging battery

Holy crap, was just going to post "almost" the exact same issue.

I have a G22 - i'm not charging properly, but charging a bit.

I have the meter on the battery and hit the gas, it drops from 12.5 to 11.9 or so, and then comes right back up with RPM's. BUT instead of hitting 14.5+ while the RPM's are up, it goes to 12.45 right on the battery or checking right on the posts on the starter/generator.

So, its is charging a bit, and extremely slowly takes a month to drain the battery, but it hesitates then fires up when it gets lower. If I charge it, it turns the starter instantly and runs fine. What would cause a lower V coming off the generator??

Sorry to hog your thread, I feel it may be related?
beavertsreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:16 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yours isnt charging at all.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Check for B+ power at red wire of Voltage regulator & small wire on "red & green wire plug" of starter/generator. Check for continuity from VR plug green wire to green wire at Starter/generator. Check ohms of the Starter/generator side of the "red & green wire plug".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
GoBeau
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replies everyone. Simple fix, once we looked at the wiring diagram we noticed the wires going to the Starter/Generator needed to be flipped. Simple fix, should always mark or notice wire position before pulling them off anything, could save allot if time! THANKS EVERYONE. Also, page 7-16 & 7-17 of the G22 Service Manual shows the steps to follow to troubleshoot this problem Beavertsreet. Page 7-6 also shows the wiring diagram and the Yamaha G16 and G22 have the exact same wiring schematic. I found the complete Service Manual for the G22 (309 pages). Having this is always helpful.
GoBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
beavertsreet
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

THX, I printed off those couple pages to take a look. Appreciated
beavertsreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
WGMichels
Not Yet Wild

I'm having the same issue with my 96 G16 after installed the lift kit. I'd like to trace down the wires as well because I'm guessing that something is loose somewhere.

Where did you find the service manual... I actually tried to get the manual for 14 days from Yamaha and somehow their link takes me to a generator service manual.

So, any help is appreciated.

Thx,
WGMichels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery charging
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha