lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #1
Etu
Not Yet Wild

Default Considering gas clubcar

I've had several electric and gas ezego carts but never a Clubcar. I'm looking for a another good used gas cart to replace a ezgo electric at our lake house. Reason is we are not there often and seems batteries need charging at inconvenient times.
Been looking for a 2004 or newer ezego but interested to consider Clubcar as well. But I don't know anything about Clubcar (good or bad) and I don't know if some engines and years are better than others.
Any advice?
Etu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Considering gas clubcar

This will be similar to Chevy vs Ford vs Chrysler. Club car makes a good cart with mainly an aluminum frame so a plus if you are near the coast. Ezgo and Yamaha also make good carts so check them out as well. I have owned all three but currently own Ezgo and Yamahas. My suggestion is to go see if you can find some just to test out and see what you like most..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also all the club cars from 92 or 93 until about 2014-2015ish all use basically the same exact engine. Either a Kawasaki FE290 or FE350. Both good engines and last pretty much forever. Easy to work on and rebuild if necessary. The newer club cars used a Subaru or kohler engine, fuel injected. Again good engines but when those break they can be big $$$ to fix. I’d opt for a Kawasaki motor

Also like Kgsc I’ve had pretty much all of the major 3 brands. I personally prefer club car because new oem parts are still available and easy to find. The robins ezgo parts are getting scarce and the aftermarket stuff just isn’t good. Yamaha does make a great cart but yamaha doesn’t seem to have as much distribution so parts *can* be hard to find, but mostly are available. Plowmans is a great resource for Yamaha carts.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:55 PM   #4
Etu
Not Yet Wild

This is exactly the background I was looking for. I'll narrow my Clubcar search to ~2004-2010.
Thanks
Old 02-07-2021, 08:10 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

There’s really very few differences from 97 and up, other than the seat back and roof change in 2000.5

93-96 the motor rotated the opposite way so those are ideal for a big block swap.

97+ are all basically the same. You can take a 1993 and bolt on the modern roof and seat. Bodies are all interchangeable also back into the 80’s. I wouldn’t limit myself to 2004 and up, since they’re all so similar. Find what you can get the best deal on and make it the way you want it

The pre 92 carts had a different Kawasaki motor (KF82 341cc) that’s still a good engine but parts can be hard to find. The FE290 is basically a wood chipper/pressure washer motor and parts are a plenty.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:29 PM   #6
Etu
Not Yet Wild

So 97-2010. That's great info
Old 02-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
The pre 92 carts had a different Kawasaki motor (KF82 341cc) that’s still a good engine but parts can be hard to find. The FE290 is basically a wood chipper/pressure washer motor and parts are a plenty.
What? We're not going to steer him towards 1984-1991 Club Cars with the Kawasaki flathead that parts/service are super expensive, very hard to find, and/or discontinued??? And of which I own two of???
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
What? We're not going to steer him towards 1984-1991 Club Cars with the Kawasaki flathead that parts/service are super expensive, very hard to find, and/or discontinued??? And of which I own two of???
Not to mention the wonderfully designed governor system that if touched, will likely never be right again
Old 02-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Not to mention the wonderfully designed governor system that if touched, will likely never be right again

And don't forget the frustratingly-mounted, low-hanging muffler that stays in the same spot down by the axle even when lifted!

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post

And don't forget the frustratingly-mounted, low-hanging muffler that stays in the same spot down by the axle even when lifted!

I’ve only had one KF motor and the muffler was in great shape. It came from a college campus, though it still had a few battle scars. I’m guessing from hopping curbs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car