lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #1
Beems
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G14 Gas - Jumper Main Solenoid Posts Starts Cart - Is Solenoid Bad?

I've been trying to read the posts on here from various people but the mechanical/electrical terminology is over my head.

I have a gas G14, and no click from the solenoid when I press the gas pedal. I used a screwdriver to jump the two main posts on the solenoid and the engine started. Does this mean I need a new solenoid, or that I don't need a new solenoid and need to dig deeper?

=========================
BACKGROUND
=========================

1) Battery tested good
2) 20A fuse tested good - swapped it out anyway
3) No prior issues with cart, owned for 20 years.
4) I am not a mechanic and no almost nothing about what I'm looking at except how to identify some parts, so bear with me please.

With key off, jumping across two main solenoid posts with a screwdriver just made a spark. With the key on, jumping across two main solenoid posts started the engine. That seems to indicate the key switch is OK, right? So, I pulled the stop switch under the gas pedal out. I cleaned the connector, then stuck a voltmeter (of which I known NOTHING about) in the connector of the removed stop switch, set the voltmeter to "OHM/X1K" mode, and with the stop switch plunger out the needle on the voltmeter moved all the way to the right, and when the plunger was depressed the needle returned back to the left. I took a video of that and can post if that would help. Again, I apologize as I know nothing about this stuff I'm only trying to include as much information as I knew to be true.

Next, I reattached the stop switch, and traced all the wires back to the solenoid and unplugged the connectors and plugged them back in, jiggled all the wires while depressing/undepressing the stop switch to see if any loose connections could be found.

I found another thread that said to run a wire from the negative battery post to the solenoid ground/base mounting bolt. I did that, and still have no turnover, so I'm assuming it's not a grounding issue at the solenoid?

What should I try next? I don't know how to use or read a voltmeter, so I don't know if the stop switch is good or bad, and if good, I don't know what else might be between the stop switch and solenoid that I can look at next if the solenoid is also OK.

I have tried to follow this sticky thread (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=24060) but it's written by a mechanic for a mechanic, and I am not a mechanic.
Beems is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha