lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2024, 01:32 PM   #1
desertratiw
Not Yet Wild

Default AGM Batteries?

Any comments on AGM versus flooded batteries appreciated. I have a chance to buy some LEOCH LDC8-165-GC8 with mfg date of 6/13/23. Supposedly only been out of cart and off charger for 2 weeks or so, and trying to get confirmation of that. Also asking about the cart and charger the batteries were used with.

Mfg tech advised that most cart mfgs have their battery / charger profile info and I will be wanting to use in my Club Car DS 48v now running 6x8v Centennial batteries. Want to make sure my Club Car PowerDrive2 charger will work with these.

Any info on how to test status of the LEOCH batteries, and/or compatibility of charger greatly appreciated.
desertratiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2024, 01:52 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: AGM Batteries?

I don't like them. That is just my personal opinion.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:52 PM   #3
desertratiw
Not Yet Wild

Care to share specifics?
Thanks
Old 02-08-2024, 04:47 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There are other threads about AGM. They need a different charging profile as to not damage them. I think standard FLA batteries are better suited to the type of use they get in a golf cart.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:54 PM   #5
desertratiw
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. The charging profile issue is what has been bothersome to understand.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:21 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Charging batteries in series without a BMS is challenging for long battery life. Fortunately, FLA batteries do well with over charging which gets all of the batteries in series fully charged while over charging some of them. Most chargers do a good job with this.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:23 PM   #7
InvalidUsername
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratiw View Post
Thank you. The charging profile issue is what has been bothersome to understand.
What type of charger do you use? With the right charger it won't be an issue. AGMs supposedly take longer to charge, but there is no maintenance. That alone would be enough for me to like them. I would have gone AGM because I hate maintaining FLA batteries, but decided to go lithium instead.
InvalidUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:21 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If Lithium is within your budget, that's the way to go.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:18 PM   #9
desertratiw
Not Yet Wild

I will search for posts on diy lithium conversion.
Any recommendations on mfg to consider?
Thanks
Old 02-08-2024, 09:34 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Study some of the posts in the Lithium sections. There are a bunch and some are real "Do It Yourself" and many are just Drop In solutions. Most are LiFePO4 chemistry 16S for a 48V cart. ECO makes a very good drop-in solution. I have helped a buddy do one of these a while ago and he is very happy with it. (EzGo RXV) A complete Do It Yourself involves sourcing Cells (most are made in China), a BMS, and designing or buying an enclosure to hold everything. You need to do your homework if you go this route - and ask a bunch of questions in the Lithium sections. A Drop-in is easy as study the available options and order what you decide you want. Install is not hard at all.

Tags
agm, leoch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car