lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Ranger1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 not starting now!

Ugh!!!!!!!
I am ready to get this thing finished. We got it started and ran it around a few times a couple of weeks ago and it has been sitting other than moving it back and forth from under the canopy. It started raining today so I thought I would get in out of the rain to put the finishing touches on and then....
All it will do is crank, not turn over. I got it to turn over one time in reverse (not the direction I needed to go) but when I tried to go forward again, it would not even crank!
I lifted the body and a small bit of smoke was coming from the wire attached to the S/G going to the solenoid.
Please help me figure this out before i loose the rest of my hair
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 not starting now!

If you had smoke coming from your wiring, that indicates heat and a bad connection. Check your wiring connections, especially the one that was smoking.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
mannyvillegas
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The negative (A1) from the starter gen would not be smoking. It's the F2 probably (not wire but cable). Still, it should not smoke if only because of loose connection. Probably grounded.

The other small wires go to the voltage regulator. The red wire could be grounded.
mannyvillegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
Ranger1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I will check these things in the morning!
I was reading a post on here earlier that caused me to question some of the wiring that was reconnected after the rebuild.However I did visit a shop locally and visually verified on a G1 they had in for repair, the wiring that we had done.

We shall see.
Thanks for you replies, it means allot to us newbies!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Ranger1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Ok, so I guess it is normal for there to be a bit of gas in air filter or coming from the carb?/!

The G2 that I bought has it in there as well.
I read some threads on here that stated the foam gasket that goes in the breather is very important to the way the cart runs. Is this the case?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

G1's have 2-cycle engines and are quite a bit different than all subsequent Yamaha models. There is no foam gasket in the air filter box on a G1, there may be one on the top of the air filter element. It should not affect starting whether it is there or not. What is the status of your cart now? Does the engine crank over? If not, you need to diagnose that problem first. Your smoking wiring indicates a problem there. If it cranks but will not start, I would suspect a fouled sparkplug due to repeated starting and short run time. The engine has to be run on choke because it is cold, and the sparkplug gets loaded up. Give us some more info and we can help you out.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Ranger1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

The cart starts and runs now. I think the battery was just week. I charged it and it started (with a little choke) and ran it. I drove it around to the front of the house and back a couple of times... up and down the road once, and it runs... just ok... It doesn't climb a hill with allot of speed, in other words, it seems to need adjusting. Down hill or on level ground it runs fine.
Having said that I would say that I wonder if I have the Fuel/Oil mix right...
It smokes quite a bit. I seem to remember reading a post on here that said to mix it 35-to-1.
again, any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Ranger1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I really need help on this if anyone has any more thoughts.
We NEED to take this back to the camp this Friday!

We can drive it but it smokes allot and it doesn't go as fast as we know it should.
We do not need to choke it very much to get it started and running, but it still won't climb a hill that well.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...g-fuel-g1.html

If it runs good but won't go fast, check your clutches to see if they are sticking. They may not be upshifting properly. Disassemble and lube.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Ranger1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB74 View Post
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...g-fuel-g1.html

If it runs good but won't go fast, check your clutches to see if they are sticking. They may not be upshifting properly. Disassemble and lube.
Ouch! That reply hurts!
Can this be done on a day ?(for the novice)
Also, the Smoking issue, I know that being a 2 cycle it will smoke some, but it seems a bit excessive.
What is the best fuel/oil mix?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha