lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
alwayslooking
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 CLUB CAR

I have 8 1991 club cars fresh off the course and they are way to slow. These do not come close to the 14mph rating that the engine states. I did play with the gov on one of them and the first time I tried it we took off full bore and it would not slow down even when I turned the key off. I just want to increase the speed without losing any hill climbing power. Can someone tell me a way to do this without causing engine faliure. Thank you
alwayslooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Basically, speed takes RPMs. More RPMs mean faster engine failure. The FZ340 was never a screamer by any means, but it is a "torquer." On the front of the engine, you'll see a pivot control link that goes from the actual cable to the carburetor. Between the cable and the link is a spring. You can tie off a few coils of that spring to make it stiffer. Also, under the cart from the gas pedal to the control box is a rod with threads on each end with "spring actuated hold down clips." Remove this rod and loosen each nut. Lengthen the rod by turning the clips until they are on there securely but at the max they can go. Be sure to have them the way they were lined up when you took it off though, or it won't go back on there. Correctly.

**WARNING: The FZ340 is notorious for throwing rods, any increase in RPMs increases the chance of your rod coming through the block. Where Club Car has it set is really all it's meant to rev! This engine has technology from the 1950s and 1960s in it at the most, so it's not meant to scream its heart out!**
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
alwayslooking
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 CLUB CAR

Thank you NO NO. I am confused as to what enginge this is. I thought it was a KF82. Is the FZ340 the same thing? thanks
Old 05-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

I'm not sure where people got the idea of KF82, but the real code for it is FZ340. Kawasaki puts two codes on them, one is a mystery and the other is the name code. FZ340 is a name code; KF82 means nothing to the general public. In general, it's "..the old flathead..."
Old 05-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yeah kf-82 was the real old C.C.,s even looking up in the parts books for the older stuff it comes up KF-82.........................afther that was the 341 side valve than they went to the FE-290 FE-350........i think the 350 was put more into the industrial type carts than the recreaction type..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

The FE350 comes in utility vehicles and industrial vehicles like Tom mentioned. It actually is standard in the Precedent golf car now, too. The FE400 is the 13hp and biggest of the FE series, it comes in the Carryall 272 and XRT1200.

If you look closely, you can see FZ340 on the top and KF82 on the bottom. Also, 0.341L is cast into the top end, which signifies the 341cc displacement.

Here is a picture of a FZ340 / KF-82:
Old 05-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
alwayslooking
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 Club Car

Thank you for all your help it makes sense now. These carts are slow probably 7 or 8 mph but I do not want to blow them up. I will try to adjust the throttle and go from there. Also one cart smokes some and I am not sure if it from sitting around or if it is blow by. Any thoughts ?? :)
Old 05-14-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

It could be rings, valve seals, or just need the cobwebs blown out of it. If it starts relatively easily, it probably isn't rings. If it dies out on hills, and has a lack of power to begin with, it is probably rings.

I would not invest any money into these engines because of the lack of performance parts. Just run them the way they are until the quit and go from there.

For the smoking, put half a bottle of Rislone Ring Seal in it and run it for a very long time, an hour at least. If it doesn't smoke as much the next morning, it is probably rings or valve seals.

If it still smokes, it is probably rings.

If there is no sign of smoke, then it may have just need a good running.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #9
alwayslooking
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 Club Car

Thank you for all of your help :)
Old 05-15-2007, 08:35 AM   #10
Trail Rider
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1991 Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslooking
Thank you for all your help it makes sense now. These carts are slow probably 7 or 8 mph but I do not want to blow them up. I will try to adjust the throttle and go from there. Also one cart smokes some and I am not sure if it from sitting around or if it is blow by. Any thoughts ?? :)
To check for blow by, pull out the dipstick while it is running. See if smoke comes out.
Trail Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car