lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Default Better use of $200 - $250 bucks

For my next purchase what do you think will be better bang for the buck? Adding a winch and replacing wires to 2 guage, or a Bandit motor from PQ?

Reason I ask is that at least for a while, I plant ot swap the wires and install the motor and not upgrade the controller yet. Per PQ it should increase speed and torque with the stock other guts.

I am not looking for a wheel stander, but a few hills have given me trouble, but not stopped me yet!

End of the day I will probably have both, but may be a year before funding is there for all the swaps.
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Better use of $200 - $250 bucks

My decision would be based on the condition of the old cables.
If nasty they will fail or cause other problems with any added load.
Not an out and out answer I know.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it was me, I would forget the winch all together. It's not impossible, just impractical. If you are not changing anything else as far as controller or solenoid, I think the motor is the best option. Any other electrical upgrades need the cables first (or with) the upgrade.
URBANNGUERILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
ArmyVetSgtAdkins
Philippians 4:13

Club Car

I would do cables first then motor
ArmyVetSgtAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Fresh Cables are a good first step whether you are upgrading or just maintaining the cart. Change the cable set whenever you change batteries. Having old cables is like running with clogged arteries.
No matter what your plans for the cart are, you need good quality cables to deliver the amperage to the motor, anything else results in amperage (and voltage) losses.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Fresh Cables are a good first step whether you are upgrading or just maintaining the cart. Change the cable set whenever you change batteries. Having old cables is like running with clogged arteries.
No matter what your plans for the cart are, you need good quality cables to deliver the amperage to the motor, anything else results in amperage (and voltage) losses.
The only reason I recommended the motor first was that he did not plan on upgrading the max amperage draw from whatever his stock controller draws. So with that in mind I thought the amperage draw will be similar so it shouldn't be a problem (unless the stock cables are in poor condition now) until more amperage was needed. I don't disagree that cables are always a good upgrade, but is my thinking wrong considering what I have said above?

Now, with all of that said... cables were the first electrical upgrade I made to my own cart- and my stock cables were in good condition when I went to 2g.
URBANNGUERILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Send it to me!
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Well cables are in good shape still, but I know myself and tend to eventually overdo whatever the project is, and cables are realistically a very easy upgrade that overall does not seem to have any drawbacks. Most of my experience has been with gas carts and never kept an electric long enought to think about motor swaps and that kind of thing, but I sold my 4 wheeler and other cart and this is my new project toy. I only say not to upgrade the controller yet due to the fact that the PQ site says it will increase speed and torque with the stock set up. (Side note, i have not actually talked to them about the motor upgrade and then perhaps eventual controller swap too.) I think that the motor swap and cables will get it to where I want it to be for now, but not 100% sure on the whole piece together upgrade. I have a few other projects that prevent the entire upgrade right now.

On the winch being impractical, I 100% agree, but partially think it looks good, but also think I COULD need it about 2-3 times a year when I think, well I can do that!!!

Thanks for all the input
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts