lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
kevinbydesign
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 2-stroke spark cuts out as engine warms up

I have a 1984 ez-go stock 2 cycle golf cart with the 244cc Robin engine.

I have had it for about 4 years. It ran pretty good, but then one day it just seemed like it had a lack of power. I did not really do much to diagnose it, i just installed a top end rebuild kit with a new piston, rings, jug, and seals. I also installed new crank seals and a new fuel pump.

I reinstalled the engine into the golf cart and it ran, but it still lacked power. I put one of those spark tester on it and i noticed that it had good spark for the first 100 yards i drove it and then the spark would become intermittent and miss and the gart would barely move.

I then installed the HEI ignition that i read about in the forums, and the same problem STILL exists. I then replaced the voltage regulator and the solenoid.

It runs good at the very beginning and then the spark misses or goes out.

What could it be? i thought i practically replaced the whole igintion system by switching to HEI ignition.

Could it be the Pulsar? Is this a common problem with that?

thanks
kevinbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
walt-rate
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 2-stroke spark cuts out as engine warms up

when you did the "HEI" did you replace your plug wire? the plug wire mite be shorting out when it heats up, from the muffler being so close to it..
walt-rate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
jeffrun
Gone Wild

When you did the hei conversion, what parts did you install?
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
racin161
Gone Wild

Waiting to hear more before we can help
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
kevinbydesign
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, i changed the plug wire when i installed HEI.

When i installed HEI, i installed: the new iginition control module, new igintion coil, new plug wire, and new plug. I also installed new wires to wire it up.

This eliminatd the current golf cart coil, iginitor, golf cart spark plug wire, and original golf cart spark plug.

I also noticed that it looks like the pulsar made contact with the flywheel, not that bad of contact, but there are some marks there.

Any ideas?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
walt-rate
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm sorry I'm out of ideas, maybe Dave has some..
Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
jeffrun
Gone Wild

i was thinking pulsar. You can check the pulsar by measuring the output with a voltmeter. Remove the two pulsar wires from the hei. clip voltmeter leads to these wires.Set the volt meter to 20V AC scale, crank motor and record reading, shoulb be 1-5V AC. If you replace pulsar, set the air gap at .030.HEI also have a thermo shutdown, if they get to hot, make sure it has a good heatsink with thermo grease.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned, and is an issue on EZGO carts, is grounding. I would remove the cables from the ground point and then clean the chassis to bare metal. Also clean the lugs on the wires. There should be three, one from the battery, one to the FR switch and one to the engine block. This last one is important as without it the engine will try to find another ground path like the choke cable. It may be that it is not a heating issue but a vibration deal (100 yards is not long to cause thermal problems).

If this does not help another issue is wire breakage. Sometimes the wires snap right on the crimp and the little rubber shrink wrap holds it on giving a intermittent connection. I would remove each lug, clean it and at the same time give it a gentle tug to see if it falls apart.

My 86 had a similar issue and I found that the grommet in the engine case where the pulsar wires exit had rotted away causing the wires to chaff and make intermittent contact with the block. If you use an ohm meter across the two wires you should see 75 - 140 ohms. Measure each wire with respect to the ground point to ensure neither are shorting out.

Let us know what transpires.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
kevinbydesign
Not Yet Wild

Dave,

I checked the ground and it looked good. I was particulary concerned with the one going to the engine. The F&R switch doesn't have anything to do with spark does it? I checked the wires going to the solenoid, because that is where i am getting my power from for my HEI.

Another troubleshooting thing i did that i forgot to mention is that i jacked it up on jackstands after it started missing one time and i tiried wiggling all the wires to see if it would stopped missing and nothing changed. Then i put in the HEI and i replaced all the igintion wires with the exception of the battery terminal wires and the blue&red wire from the pulsar.

I ran the ohm meter across the pulsar and got 151 ohms. Is that too much resistance? What would that mean?

I ordered a new pulsar but it won't be here for a couple of days.

In the mean time i would not mind checking all the wires like you said? can you please give me some more details on what you mean by "lugs"?

Thanks

kevin
Old 12-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
walt-rate
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

"lugs" refers to the metal connector on the end of the wire
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO