lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
Bigun 105
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Error code

I have a 2014 club car precedent my battery light starts blinking. Batteries good. Voltage over 48 volts while light blinking. I’ve saw posts indicating this is a error code, is there a code identification process? Ty
Bigun 105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Error code

Did your cart come with the ERIC charger? The blinking light means you're down to about 10% usable battery power.
How old are your batteries? Are they all the same brand and model? Is the water level correct in each cell?

48V doesn't mean the pack is charged. If the pack is sitting at 48v, that actually means its almost dead. You should have somewhere around 50.9V at rest about 12 hours after a full charge.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
Bigun 105
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes sir, it does have the Eric charger.
The levels are good, I did just replace 2 of the original batteries with new, but different brand.
When the light was blinking, I tested each battery, all were at least 8.3
I did test total pack voltage, but I did not write it down. I’m going to say total voltage was at least 50Volts.
I’m sorry, the next time I will,for lack of a better phrase ck and record everything
I can’t remember the rest of your comments & do not know how to peek back at it. So I’m going to try to post this. Thanks for your time. I’m new on this type of communication. So please bear with me. I do know, all battery terminals are tight and clean. Thanks again. Well I have been reading the forum, about the ERIC charging. They call the fluid in their batteries Algorithm. When I got the cart, I checked the battery levels and connections first. Some cells were very low, and I had a few too low. Ok instead of distilled water, I used battery acid, that you get at automotive stores. Is that a problem? Just trying to provide you with the right information. Thanks

Last edited by Bigun 105; 11-27-2019 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: Used battery acid instead of distilled water.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

At this point your best approach is to replace the remaining old batteries with new ones that match the 2 new ones you already have. When new and old batteries are mixed their capacities and voltages are so different that the new batteries will be chronically undercharged, and old batteries can be overcharged at the same time. This leads to a much shorter lifespan and useable capacity from both, and results in much shorter overall pack life. Even with two new batteries, your run-time is only as long as the weakest battery in the pack.

Distilled or de-ionized water is all that should ever need to be added to a battery. Adding battery acid will throw off the specific gravity of the fluid in the battery. This can cause a lot of issues, but the end result is that the battery will not provide the same voltage or capacity as it did previously. It’s almost impossible to go back, and it’s not really worth the time and effort to check the SG and adjust the acid concentration just to get an old battery back to the proper SG. The plates in the battery are still worn out due to age and the number of charge cycles the battery has been through, and there’s really no major improvement to be made by trying to alter the SG.

Batteries have a finite number of charge cycles for which they can provide a usable life-span, so time is always against them once they are put into use. Without proper care and charge practices, the lifespan of a battery is greatly affected, and typically when a pack is only a few years old with 1 or 2 batteries that exhibit symptoms of failure, the rest of the pack is not far behind. With proper care and charging, 5-7 years of pack life is easily attainable. Using a high quality battery and excellent care can give you as long as 10 years from a new pack.

Read in the stickies sections up at the top of the page about battery maintenance.
Also check the info in the ERIC charger thread for info on how to change the charge algorithm for the ERIC charger so your new batteries receive the correct charge to give you the best pack service life.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:46 PM   #5
Bigun 105
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I sure hope I don’t make you mad, offend , or anything of the sort. If you don’t mind me saying, that is a fine Black Bass. Maybe Florida strain. I live on a decent lake, 20min from the best in Tx. I know, we ain’t here to talk, fishing.
I charged my cart. After the last time the battery light started blinking. Before I did, I was reading...something that give instructions for resetting OBC. Now keep in mind this is just before I got with you. The charge was probably complete before we spoke about this issue. So I preformed the process as described then charged. Used briefly 30 minutes max. Has been sitting since. No chg. I go out today to find out if light would appear, and ck battery pack total voltage & individual battery voltage and report findings for ya. Did not ck anything before switching tow switch to run and used.
I turned switch to run, I take off, about 5-10 minutes of use the battery lamp briefly illuminated steady, 30 seconds later blinking. I drive home three minutes away. Light still blinking, get my meter, something to write on. Minimum battery voltage is 8.3, had 50.3 battery pack voltage.
Do you still believe I need to replace the 4 batteries that are not new.

Ok I let the cart sit, a couple hrs. Went outside to lockup etc checked battery pack voltage. It was 50.9. Turned switch to run. Went, on cart and shut my gates back to cart parking, no blinking light. That’s a wrap for today. Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks

Last edited by Bigun 105; 11-28-2019 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Recheck voltage run cart
Old 11-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ideally you need to get a voltage reading of the individual batteries while the cart is in operation. The resting voltage is only part of the story. The light comes on after the cart has been driving for X amount of time, that means after that amount of time the batteries are low enough on voltage to trigger the light. Drive until the light comes on, then check the voltage of each battery. If you have aligator clips for your meter be sure to check each battery While the cart is driving. Also check the overall pack voltage while driving, because that wil tell you how far the voltage is dropping when the pack is under load.

This is how old batteries tend to act when they’re at the end of their service life. Voltage appears fine after charging, but it quickly drops when the batteries are out under load. As I said before, you would be smart to replace the other 4 batteries and start off with a whole new pack. Then with proper maintenance and charging practices, you should be able to get 5-7years or more of useful service from that pack. If you ever plan to do any upgrades to the cart, upgraded motor or controller for example, or add anything else that uses battery power, that mix of old and new batteries will let you down much sooner and limit your range.

Thanks for the comment on the bass! That one was northern strain, but it did come from a small lake here that is known to produce big bass. It is Very pressured because of that, and that’s the biggest I’ve caught from that lake. There are only a few lakes in my area that have FL strain and they’re incredibly finicky because of the weather changes we have here. Ive caught a pile of FL bass but never one quite that size.

We do have a fishing and hunting section here on the forum so if you have any fishing stories or pictures of lunkers you want to share feel free to post them there!
Old 11-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Bigun 105
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If my cart had/has a bad speed sensor, would it prevent the cart from having rollaway protection?
I’m not doubting the battery issue. I hate typing, therefore I try to condense my explanations. My bad, sorry.
It may have more than one problem. I’m not a fan of halfass anything, except typing. I have performed the rollaway test per Z71 instructions, in the Sticky sec. I also read most of the information you advised on the ERIC and, will finish time permitting.
It has no rollaway braking alarm, and pushes freely. Unfortunately I’m leaving for awhile today. I have put it off as long as possible. LMK if you think I should change speed sensor. It absolutely fails all rollaway protection. Thanks again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car