lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
golfdad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default looking for engine rebuild

I am look to rebuild my 2cycle 81 ezgo engine but i cant seem to find anything that tells me how can some one help
golfdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: looking for engine rebuild

cue Dave and the link to the video tutorial ....
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...e-rebuild.html
jlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Hello Golfdad,
Well I have taken down the same engine to the last nut and bolt so I am sure I can answer any questions you have. To start I would recommend that you go to www.youtube.com and search for
donyboy73 golfcart
This will bring up 4 videos with lots of general information on your engine (albeit a different cart). It is interesting to note that at the end of part 2 he makes a classic mistake and puts the piston in backwards, but he later corrects himself. If after you have watched tthe video you have any specific questions come back and ask and a whole load of guys will help you out
Good Luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Good Lord Brew City you got in there quick
Old 11-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Hey, I'm here to help ... Even if I sorta "Tom Sawyered" this one (thanks, Dave!)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #7
golfdad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thank you for the info video and two questions the firts is if you hold the cluch should it have any play if you move it up and down? The second is that my engine is louder then that one and my cart has a new muffler is there somethig eles wrong with my cart? sorry one more there is gas coming from the bottom case? thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Good Morning Golfdad,
You started this thread by saying that you were going to rebuild your engine and your last post indicates why. Now you don't say which clutch is moving but I am going to make the assumptions that a) it is the drive clutch and b) it is not simply loose on the drive shaft (I think you would have noticed and mentioned that). This is indicative of your rear crankshaft bearings being shot or to put it more simply you need a rebuild, but you knew that didn't you?
Without being there it is of course impossible to be 100% certain but I am willing to bet the farm that your fuel pump has sprung a leak and is draining through the crankcase orifice. The crankcase then fills with fuel until it gets to the level of the cylinder whence it leaks past your piston rings and dribbles into the exhaust pipe. Your exhaust pipe is loose or the gasket is shot (which is why it is so noisy) and the fuel leaks out onto the floor.
Bearing in mind that I am not on Washington Street so my diagnosis and predictions are somewhat suspect here is what I think :-
You need a top and bottom end rebuild kit @ $420
You need a new fuel pump @ $33
You should buy a new carburetor @$100
You should budget for a new clutch and belt @ $300 (ish)
Throw in $100 for incidentals like a new plug, air filter, fuel filter, fuel lines and so on and we are looking at say $1000 bottom line. Does that make you wince?

Well the advantages of doing this are that you will have, to all intents and purposes, a new engine and transmission. My 86 runs like a sewing machine and none of the 90's four strokes on our community can keep up with it. A rebuiilt cart should last another 10 years without major expense. There is also the job satisfaction in bringing a basket case back to life. I enjoyed doing mine so much that I scour craigslist every day looking for a dead three wheeler or similar to start a new project.

So there is my opinion, and there are as many opinions as there are guys on this forum. Do you still want to do this thing? If so then let us know and I, as well as Brew City Music, Pocono County Boy, GoTeeMan and several others will leap in and guide you through every step.
Regards
Dave
Old 11-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
DEWDIGGLER
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ON THE GAS EZGO THREAD JUST BELOW IT SAYS EZGO TECH,
OPEN THAT AND THEN OPEN NEED EZGO MANUAL, DIAGRAM, OR ID HELP.

theres some helpfull info in there

GOOD LUCK, DEW
DEWDIGGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
golfdad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave It the crank shaft has the play. Going to all the way with my cart. I in joy messing with it. I am just wondering if there is any way of makeing it more powerfull then it was stock. If not it ok just trying to get the most bang of my buck. I look on the teck ezgo manual and cant seem to find my engine on there is there some where eles i can look. Thans agin
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO