lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2015, 12:55 AM   #1
TTB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2001 Club car DS rear transaxle oil change

I've never done this rear end oil change and was wondering if any of you had ever posted/commented about it.........I've heard to use synthetic, not to use synthetic etc. Any help as to what to use as well as any possible pics etc of the process would be greatly appreciated. I assume you use some sort of tube to fill? I am not very mechanical so please excuse me. Lol
TTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2001 Club car DS rear transaxle oil change

I'm new to carts, but I just did mine a few days ago on a new to me 06 CC DS. You need a 3/4 inch 6 sided socket. I had a spark plug socket that worked perfect. Take out the top plug first, nothing worst then draining a rear end only to find out the fill plug is unmovable. The drain plug will have a magnet in it to catch any metal filings. Wipe that clean before installing it in the same hole.

I followed the CC manual and used SAE 30 old school dino. The hose thing seemed way too much like work, so instead I used a pump that screws onto an oil bottle meant to fill the lower end of an outboard motor. You can buy them at Wal-Mart or any hardware store for about $10. Took almost a full quart of oil before it would run out the fill hole.

YMMV, but I jacked up the driver side slightly to overfill it. I noticed that it was overfilled from the factory when I pulled the drain plug. So when it was on the bench must have been when they put oil in it. I was very surprised at how dirty the oil was that came out of the rear end.

Good luck.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

On a 2001 DS unitized transaxle you should use 27 oz. (.8 liter) 80-90 WT. API Class GL-3 or 80-90 WT. AGMA Class EP Gear Lube. This is from the DSGolfCar Gasoline Vehicles 2001 Owner’s Manual.
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

From the stickies above http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-ds-carts.html
Old 08-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

I went straight to the source when I said I used SAE 30 old school dino. You can trust what third parties say, or go straight to club car at this link:
CLICKY
Enter in your serial number of the cart and they will send you free all the links to their manuals for that cart. In there will be a diagram of your location points and the designed lubricant. YMMV
Old 08-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Page 24 of this gasoline 2001 Club Car owners manual http://www.clubcar.com/content/***/c...0800B00000.pdf recommends 27 oz. (.8 liter) 80-90 WT. API Class GL-3 or 80-90 WT. AGMA Class EP Gear Lube.

http://www.clubcar.com/content/***/c...0705C1207B.pdf
page 31 (PERIODIC LUBRICATION SCHEDULE – ELECTRIC VEHICLES) of this 2006 Club Car DS owners Manual recommends 22 oz. (0.67 L) SAE 30 WT. API Class SE, SF, or SG Oil (or higher)

page 32 (PERIODIC LUBRICATION SCHEDULE – GASOLINE VEHICLES) of this 2006 Club Car DS owners Manual recommends 27 oz. (0.8 L) 80-90 WT. API Class GL-3 or 80-90 WT. AGMA Class EP Gear Lube
Old 08-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Gas and electric transaxles are different from each other!
Yep! ... 30 SAE is OEM spec'd for electric carts! But 80w-90 is spec'd for gas carts!
I'm guessing TTB has a gas cart because he posted in the gas forum!

I never really measured out an exact amount...
I've always used synthetic 80w-90, and this diagram from my manual!

Unitized Transaxle.jpg

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Great post. I need to do this before the next camping trip...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Nice to know about the gas vs elec viscosity difference. That's the reason why I would always go to the design source. CC is extra nice in the sense you can put in your serial number and there will be zero screw-up.

Been going through this forum past posts last few nights only to find many comments where 80w90 is the go to answer always regardless of gas or elec.

Now that I know there is a difference, my guess would be it's based on cold temps. An electric might not have what it takes to push 80w90 on the cart that the guy put a plow on. The guys down south don't have that problem, and probably can get away with a heavier weight oil with no issues. CC has to stand behind their statements or they do the repairs.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car