lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2020, 10:06 PM   #1
HogHunter2005
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16E Reversing Contactor wiring Curtis/Albright DC88-1038P

I purchased the reversing contactor in the title and it didn't come with any diagrams or installation instructions. I found 4 small wires that are attached to the old melted forward/reverse lever. I haven't got any idea what they are or if I need them. Several years back, I installed an alltrax 48400(I think that's the right model number). I have all new battery cables to install and the batteries are 2 years old. I recently melted the F/R, the battery cables, and just found out, the factory motor. I'm ordering a Plum Quick torque motor, but was hoping someone could help guide me with the wiring, while I wait for the motor. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!
HogHunter2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2020, 10:12 PM   #2
HogHunter2005
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G16E Reversing Contactor wiring Curtis/Albright DC88-1038P

Images of the Reversing Contactor and some of the many melted 1/0 gauge cables
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200904_180802.jpg (136.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200904_180837.jpg (118.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200904_180751.jpg (198.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200904_180755.jpg (131.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200904_185751.jpg (190.0 KB, 0 views)
HogHunter2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #3
joeoj
Not Yet Wild

I bought one of these from BU (dont know if I'm allowed to use their name) on and they sent a installation sheet with it. So far I am at a standstill due to lack of the difference between their instructions and my 1998 Ezgo Txt cart.

So far it appears that their directions show a different terminal post identification layout than Albrights data indicates (B and C may be reversed). My relay has no label on it so it "MAY" be a chinese knockoff. I'm still working on it so I cant say for sure anything yet.

Have you had any luck with your install yet?
joeoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:02 PM   #4
madcouch33
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have a 2000 Yamaha G16E, and I'm going a similar path to you HogHunter2005, but the order of what we are buying/installing is different.
-I upgraded to a Plum Quick Coyote motor, with everything else stock (controller, F/R switch, cables, solenoid). And now I am in the process of replacing the rest. I bought a SW180 solenoid, Alltrax SR48400 controller, 2awg cables,

-But the reason for responding to this was I also bought an "Electric Golf Cart Shift Lever Conversion Kit to Switch" from Advantage Distributing, which came with the DC88-1038P like you. Their website has the instructions to install it, but doesn't specify any Yamaha G series. This might help you.

-The Alltrax SR and G16E wiring diagrams I thought were pretty straight forward, but unplugging and removing the stock F/R lever to replace with the reversing contactor has made it difficult. I thought I had it all wired up right today, turned the key, and the only thing that happened was the contactor clicked when I flicked the new F/R switch back and fourth. So now I'm going to try and figure out if a connected a wire to the wrong location.

I'm curious how the reversing contactor should be replacing the F/R switch lever. How I interpreted the instruction, it appears to only connect to the wire before the Foot Switch. But the stock F/R lever connected to a plug with 4 wires (Yellow, Yellow/Black, Red, & Pink). I wonder if thats where the contactor should be connected in some way...
madcouch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:43 AM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

The DC88P is a sealed reverse contactor that appears to be a new offering from Curtis Albright in 2020.

Find attached the DC88P spec sheet which shows the terminal identifications (A - motor field, B & C - motor armature, D - negative) and the spade connectors (1 - left coil positive, 2 - shared negative between the two coils, 3 - right coil positive).

Albright DC88 Terminal Identification.JPG

Albright DC88 Connection Diagram.JPG
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Albright DC88P-Data-Sheet.pdf (883.6 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:52 PM   #6
madcouch33
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you ThreeCW for that info. Here is where I’m stuck.

I have installed the Alltrax SR48400 to what their diagram says, and removed the stock F/R Lever. I have marked up the stock wiring diagram and Alltrax diagram for what has been done (green is added per the instructions).

The DC88 contactor has been connected like the attached picture. The way I connected the center wire from the switch was to the open BROWN wire that was cut at the stock controller because it is before the Accelerator Switch.

After reconnecting the batteries, I turned the key on. When I had the new contactor switch in the F and pressed the pedal, the solenoid clicked, but nothing to the motor. The I switched over to R, and the contactor clicked, pressed the pedal, and the solenoid clicked, but nothing to the motor again.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? It seems that the removal of the stock F/R lever is leaving a gap in the wiring, but that’s a guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.jpg (212.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0018.jpg (208.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0019.jpg (149.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-08-2021, 01:25 AM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

In your case you have removed the "stock F/R lever" and are replacing it with an aftermarket F/R Switch and an aftermarket F/R Contactor. The attached Alltrax SR wiring diagram shows this case.

Do a paper exercise first ... print out your existing wiring diagram, print out the Alltrax SR wiring diagram and print out the Curtis / Albright DC88-P diagram. Cut and paste ... or however you want to do it and integrate the above into one wiring diagram. Then follow it through and make sure you understand how everything is supposed to be hooked up.

I would then suggest posting your "custom" diagram here on BGW and look for feedback to ensure that you are on the right track.

You want to avoid a trail and error wiring process ... as a new controller can be ruined easily with incorrect wiring.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:14 PM   #8
madcouch33
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you for the reference. I got a response from Advantage Distributing, and they provided a diagram to connect the contactor to their requirements. And my cart lives again!!!

I have gone and marked up the stock diagram, and Alltrax diagrams for what I did. I cut the wiring harness flush from the stock F/R lever, connected the yellow and yellow black wires, and reconnected the white harness back. The red and pink wires are taped off individually and not used.

The Alltrax diagram was followed from there, except I had to switch the green and blue wires around because the throttle went backwards (accelerated when I let off the pedal). And connected the contactor to the diagram from Advantage Distributing. The diodes are connected the same way as my previous post.

Hopefully if anyone else has similar issues can use this information. Thank you again to everyone who helped.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:32 AM   #9
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Note that there are some minor wiring differences between the Alltrax diagram and the Advantage Distribution_Contactor Wiring Diagram.jpg.

I believe that the Alltrax diagram could be "more" correct with:
- Solenoid / Main Contactor to Motor A1
- Motor A2 to FR Contactor "+" post
- Controller M- to FR Contactor "-" post

The "Advantage Distribution_Contactor Wiring Diagram.jpg" has a different wiring order than above ... which may work ... which may be technically equivalent ... or for some reason unknow to me be technically incorrect.

I would trust the Alltrax diagram to be technically correct and the best option for use for an Alltrax controller.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #10
NewToThisCartStuff1223
Not Yet Wild

Just curious, about what do these upgrades run? I got a non working 99' G16E and am thinking about bypassing troubleshooting and replacing main components.
NewToThisCartStuff1223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36 volt, reversing contactor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha