lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
kope007
Not Yet Wild

Default Finished upgrading '13 drive. Looks great, rides like crap.

Hello, I was quarantined for 2 weeks so decided to upgrade my off lease '13 drive. It was stock except for a rear seat and speed code.

Long story short, it looks great but rides terribly. Tons of sway on everything but the flattest stretches of pavement.

So other than cosmetics here is what has been done.
4" SGC lift.
Heavy duty rear springs.
215/50r12 street tires and 12" wheels. Tires are about 20.5".
2" wheel spacers all around.
Tires are at about 34 psi.
Alignment done.

It did about 20 mph on stock wheels and now feels a little faster. However it can get so squirrely that its not really enjoyable. Feels like a trailer loaded wrong.

I've read some stuff about sway bars, but never actually seen anyone do it on a Yamaha. Could I add weight to the frame in the front? Would removing the lift help? Would I be able to stuff the tires under there without a lift.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.
kope007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Finished upgrading '13 drive. Looks great, rides like crap.

CG gets pretty high when you add large tires and a lift. Why are you running such high tire pressures? In my experience, carts ride better on lower air pressure. I run mine at 18psi.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

your running way to high P.S.I in those tires...hardly any surface area is on the road...drop em down to around 20 p.s.i and try again
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:23 PM   #4
kope007
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. I looked for a range on the tire and all it said was 950 lb max load at 35 psi. They came from factory at about 28 so I went 34. I'll give that a go.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #5
CustomCurt
Gone Wild

I would like to see the front end kit installed to see what adjustments you have to work with, camber should be about neutral if you can get there but if you cant then equal on both sides, measure from the outermost part of the lower control arms to a place on the frame to see if they are squared in the chassis after that set the toe to about 0 to 1/16" in while sitting still after rolling the cart forward a few feet, then test drive it if it darts when you give it steering input then set the toe to 0 or 1/16" toe out, big thing is getting the lower control arms squared in the chassis, if it has heim ends on the upper and lower control arms to adjust camber then we have more fun and can make it handle even better :)
CustomCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
kope007
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomCurt View Post
I would like to see the front end kit installed to see what adjustments you have to work with, camber should be about neutral if you can get there but if you cant then equal on both sides, measure from the outermost part of the lower control arms to a place on the frame to see if they are squared in the chassis after that set the toe to about 0 to 1/16" in while sitting still after rolling the cart forward a few feet, then test drive it if it darts when you give it steering input then set the toe to 0 or 1/16" toe out, big thing is getting the lower control arms squared in the chassis, if it has heim ends on the upper and lower control arms to adjust camber then we have more fun and can make it handle even better :)
So tire pressure was a huge improvement.

However I think your on to something with the front end. It is the cheapest block kit out there, didn't even come with new spindle arms. So I think the only adjustment is the toe in/out. Don't think there is any camber adjustment. I currently have a 1/8" toe in.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll have a chance Thursday to make some adjustments and see if I can't improve it.

This is the kit. https://steelenggolfcart.com/product...sion-lift-kit/
Old 02-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #7
CustomCurt
Gone Wild

wow I dont see any way to adjust it, try giving it
0 toe setting or up to 1/16" toe out to tame it downif it darts when you turn one way or the other theres a worry of flipping, they do mention a warranty on craftsmanship, keep us posted if the toe out setting helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by kope007 View Post
So tire pressure was a huge improvement.

However I think your on to something with the front end. It is the cheapest block kit out there, didn't even come with new spindle arms. So I think the only adjustment is the toe in/out. Don't think there is any camber adjustment. I currently have a 1/8" toe in.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll have a chance Thursday to make some adjustments and see if I can't improve it.

This is the kit. https://steelenggolfcart.com/product...sion-lift-kit/
CustomCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:33 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have no idea how a SGT lift works, and honestly I'm not sure I want to, but if it "re-uses" the stock suspension parts, you cant expect amazing results.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:00 AM   #9
kope007
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I have no idea how a SGT lift works, and honestly I'm not sure I want to, but if it "re-uses" the stock suspension parts, you cant expect amazing results.

Ya I hear you. I guess this is what I get for cheaping out. I didn't expect amazing results, however I didn't think it would feel like I was cheating death either, lol.
Tire pressure already has made a ton of improvement. If I can't get it to where I feel comfortable letting the wife take the kids, I'll just pull it off and call it lesson learned.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #10
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have the SGC 4" block lift on my 13 G29, it is just a body lift reusing existing suspension. Toe in adjustment is the same as stock, I don't have wheel spacers so my stance is stock. I did change the toe in so it is zero that got rid of the squirrely feeling. I also put the stock yamaha g29 gasser shocks in the rear and that helped the ride quality.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha