lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Angry Need troubleshooting help for 88 2-stroke PLEASE

Here's the story, I bought my 88 EZGO dirt cheap after it sat for a couple of years, the previous owner had the top end rebuilt and after a few days it just stopped running and he couldn't figure it out ..

I brought it home and no spark, so after a little troubleshooting it turned out to be the coil, which I replaced with an old GM coil I had laying around, I also did all the neccessary maintainance/repair, cleaned the jets and carb, fuel lines, tank, air filter, plug, plug wire, etc and the cart started and ran wonderfully (and reliably) for about a month, so I did the paint, lift, seats, etc - finally thought I was all done and ready to roll ...

SO - one day last week, I drove through a sizeable puddle and the cart stalled, after I pulled the plug wire and dried out the coil, etc it fired back up and seemed fine for another week (keep in mind this cart gets used 4-5 times a day, running around the property, a mile to the mailbox, etc), Then, one day I drove to the neighbors, came out, and she turned over great, no start. Tried starting fluid, nothing. the spark seems OK (using the old "plug wire/chassis" test) so I replaced the plug, BAM the cart ran great for another day, then the same thing.

At this point, the cart either starts right up when you press the pedal and choke it, then runs fine until you stop, or it'll turn over and over with no starting right from the get-go (either way, if it DOES start it'll run great til you shut it off, then zero). I have pulled and cleaned the carb again, it ran for 5 min then died and again, nothing (spark still seems OK) ... The weird part, starting fluid won't pop it over either - it either starts right up and runs til you shut it off then nothing, or it just won't start to begin with.

I have (in the last day) replaced the fuel pump, and am now awaiting a new (correct) coil and wire, but I doubt that's it as the other coil/wire was producing spark - what am I missing? Voltage to the coil is 10.2-10.4 (which is low I realize, any ideas?) - charges at 14.4 while running - fuel pump is pushing gas when engine is cranked - carb is clean enough to eat out of (and no settings changed since it was running great) - AAAAAARGH !!!

Any pointers or ideas would be appreciated, I'm wondering if it's possible that one (or both) crank seals could be "intermittently shot" (although by nature that sounds unlikely, then again I'm a musician not a mechanic) and sometimes seal the case, sometimes not ?!?

Thanks in advance for ANY pointers or ideas you can offer!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Need troubleshooting help for 88 2-stroke PLEASE

Ive found that the little pulsar coil under the flywheel has a hard time firing some coils. Ive even had them not want to trigger a GM HEI module "sometimes"...This is just my $0.02. I might just have a weak pulsar coil. I'd bet your problems will go away when you get the right coil.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need troubleshooting help for 88 2-stroke PLEASE

WOO HOO !!!! I borrowed a friends coil from his 89, and finally got spark, but it still seemed a little weak, jumping all over, etc SOOOO I bought a high-output coil off Ebay which finally arrived, put it on along with a new plug wire and BAM - lightning EVERYWHERE, super strong spark, and now all is well - I don't even have to choke it anymore (which may have something to do with the air leak I found where the previous owner removed the oil injector) !!!

I'm going to start a new thread RE the coil I bought, but in case anyone is interested, here's a link to the "semi-permanent" auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

As versus $100 for a factory coil, this is a GREAT deal, it works better than the factory coil too!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO