lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Clutch wont engage

right on you guys, i got the new spark plug and it didnt fire so tomorrow ill see if im even getting a spark to begin with and try squirting some gas into the intake and see what happens. ill update this as i go, thanks again for the help so far.
SamCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok so far ive replaced the fuel filter and lines as well as the spark plug. I know for sure its getting spark, it backfired this morning. I got it to almost start but it didnt. I havent messed with the carb yet and really dont want to but i think i have to. The engine is getting gas and spark.

Are there points i could change? Maybe they went bad. I also need to change the oil in it.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There's no oil to change in the motor..it gets it's lube from the gas oil mixture it burns. No points in that motor either.

Carb is easy to do and might just solve your problem! After they sit for a while the old fuel turns into sludge. Your bowl and jets and all the little passageways get plugged up.

Remove the fuel line from it, remove the air cleaner assembly...unbolt the carb and it will come right off.

Drain out any fuel in it and flip it over. It's best to have a clean and well lit work space to do the rest of this so you can see the details and not lose parts.

Remove the bolt looking thing in the middle of the bottom of the bowl. It contains the main jet. set it aside. Gently rock the bowl back and forth and it should come right off. Check inside it for gunk and clean appropriately. With the carb upside down, gently work the pin holding the float out of it's mount and remove the float. You will see a piece of brass there under it.. it's the needle part of the needle valve assembly. remove it and set it aside.

At this point I would go to your local auto parts store and pick up some carb cleaner. They sell a one gallon can with a tray inside it that you can place all the parts in and leave them soak overnight. My local Advance Auto sells them for about $20.

After the assembly and assorted parts have soaked you now need to clean the jets and all passageways carefully to be sure you clear them all.

The pilot jet is that brass screw looking thing --probably on top of the carb in your cart. Unscrew it and clean all the fine holes carefully.

The main jet is screwed into the bottom bolt that holds the bowl on. Carefully try to remove it and clean it as well. If you can't remove it without damaging it you can clear all the small holes around the bottom of the flange it screws into with some fine wire and blow some compressed air down through the jet to remove the debris. If you do it without removing it, resoak that bolt/jet assembly again for a while and hit it again with some more compressed air to be sure it's clear.

The center stem also has a brass piece screwed up into it...clean it well also. Again..removal is best but if not, pipe cleaners, carb cleaner and compressed air will also clean it.

A piece of fine wire can help you clean out the tiny holes where the air flows through the carb as well. Look closely inside and you will see them. Compressed air helps too. Blow out every passageway with compressed air.

When finished, I rinse with WD40 or similar before reassembling to remove any cleaner left on the parts.

Reassembly is pretty simple. You may need a new intake gasket...mine survived the process.

It's W-A-A-A-y harder to think about cleaning the carb than it actually is to do it.
Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

thank you, you just saved me a ton of trouble. ill take it off and clean it.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCarroll View Post
thank you, you just saved me a ton of trouble. ill take it off and clean it.
No problem,

Good Luck. Post back with your findings...a picture is worth a thousand words if you have questions on that carb cleaning thing
Old 09-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #16
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

for sure, if i have any questions ill ask them. Ive rebuilt some carbs but they're all fullsize small block/big block carbs. Should be easy enough.

Im so close to getting the cart running.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quick question, will the cap being broken on the oil reservoir cause lack of pressure? or does that not matter? My cap is broken.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #18
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

also what pressure will the fuel pump put out? I took the carb off and its really clean. Im wondering if the fuel pump is actually working.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Quick question, will the cap being broken on the oil reservoir cause lack of pressure? or does that not matter? My cap is broken.
Nope..shouldn't matter--the tank is not pressurized.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #20
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
also what pressure will the fuel pump put out? I took the carb off and its really clean. Im wondering if the fuel pump is actually working.
Don't know the exact pressure but it's not a lot of volume. Crank it over and pump into an empty can and you should see a decent amount pumping out at a slow but noticeable rate. If it's not pumping at all then...about $35 at one of the suppliers to replace.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO