lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #21
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Default Re: Black, carboned spark plug

Lockman
Good talking to you today. You left out a little info when we talked.
Here's my .02
Most small engines will run best and are designed for "cheap gas" Higher octane fuel burns cooler and can produce carbon in small engines.

Determine if mixture is rich on idle circut or high speed circuts

To do this start with brand new plug take a 1-2 mile wide open run shut down quickly do not allow motor to idle before or after run. Now "read" plug. Should be slight tan, If dark HS jet is to large. (still no color take it for a little longer run) if its still white after this its to lean.

The cart will accelerate better if the idle mixture is a little rich because the carbs do not have accel pumps they are usually adjusted a little fat on the idle mixture to give quicker better throttle response and better cool starting.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #22
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I don't know about cart plugs but I thought you were going to a hotter plug and you got a 4 instead of a 6 and you had a 5.
When we buy hotter NGK's for race cars we go from a 7 to a 9, are they a difference.

Hotter plug = higher number, this is a question????
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #23
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Got it BBM, I'll give it a "try" this weekend!
and I say "try"... because there's really no place to ride 28 to 32 anywhere on the campground,
and of coarse, carts aren't legal on the roads around there!
(I know... I know... I really don't have to go that fast... but, I'd like too!)
I can, however, drain the premium fuel, add 87 octane fuel, change the plug again and give it my best test!

I feel kinda' silly though... After all of this... I actually opened up my owners manual, and it states to use 87 octane fuel!
(Eastview mentioned it, and I didn't listen!) But, I guess in this case, "more" may not "better"!

I appreciate ALL of the replies!
after having this cart for close to 6 years, I've never had a REAL problem with it! (except this one)

Thank you guys! I'll post my results!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCH View Post
I don't know about cart plugs but I thought you were going to a hotter plug and you got a 4 instead of a 6 and you had a 5.
When we buy hotter NGK's for race cars we go from a 7 to a 9, are they a difference.

Hotter plug = higher number, this is a question????
According to my CC dealers website... NGK BP4ES is hotter then the 5!
But, I know what your saying Lurch, I've been raised on "the higher the number, the hotter the plug"!
so let's just say... it confused me a bit, I just thought that NGK was backwards! it runs great with the 4,
but I'm going to change back to the 5 for this test!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #25
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

This is what confused me... so I dropped it just 1 number:

Quote:
Spark plug NGK BPR2ES. Hotter plug, Use when fouling is a problem. For Yamaha gas G14, G16, G20, G21 & G22.
Club Car gas XRT 1500/Carryall 294.Ezgo RXV 2008 up.
What the...? CC gas XRT 1500??? that's not my cart!

Gawd... I hate it when I misread stuff!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #26
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

This should clear your fog Don, Right off NGK's website.

The heat range numbers used by spark plug manufacturers are not universal, by that we mean, a 10 heat range in Champion is not the same as a 10 heat range in NGK. Some manufacturers numbering systems are opposite the other, for domestic manufacturers(Champion, Autolite), the higher the number, the hotter the plug. For NGK, the higher the number, the colder the plug.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #27
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Lockman. No reason to feel silly, asking is how we all learn. Also its not a one size fits all. I don't remember are you running our timing advance key? I know you have the header kit with K&N. By the way whats your feeling on the improvement that made? You had a nice fresh motor to test it on.
Back to octane, some guys mill the head or have it milled. Adding compression would probably REQUIRE more octane. For sure if you are running a timing advance key. Hey with the speeds your running most guys should be asking you what to do. LOL

Also you were the first guy to run the header kit and I believe it only had one jet in the kit. We now include 2 jets in the kit one only slightly larger than stock and one a little larger than that.

Decided to throw this in as well. Also from the NGK website. it will be helpful to some.

Do not make spark plug changes at the same time as another engine modification such as injection, carburetion or timing changes as in the event of poor results, it can lead to misleading and inaccurate conclusions (an exception would be when the alternate plugs came as part of a single pre-calibrated upgrade kit). When making spark plug heat range changes, it is better to err on the side of too cold a plug. The worst thing that can happen from too cold a plug is a fouled spark plug, too hot a spark plug can cause severe engine damage
Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #28
Rdavis984
Not Yet Wild

Lockman I too had the same problem that you had. I was going through one to two plugs a year. The plug would soot up and make the cart run horrible. I would take the plug out replace it with a clean one a viola it ran beautiful again. I wound up going up to BPR2 ES. I ran the same plug for 2 years no problem. I have a larger jet, k&n filter, timing key, turned clutches and 6:1 gears. I usually tootle around with the rpms between 650- 1000. But then again i would take the cart for 5-10 mile drives and let her purr. It never fouled out on me and the plug looked awesome after two years of use. For $3-4 I would try the 2 plug it worked for me.
Rdavis984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #29
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Awesome info you guys! Thank you!

Yep Tom, My FE350 is pretty much stock, (except your timing advance key, Jet, and K&N)
Stock clutches with your "Severe Duty" belt, (I have your RPM spring, but, haven't put it in yet! )
And of coarse... 25" tires!
It "scoots" along pretty well with minimal torque loss!

I've had the BP4ES in for a little over a month now, but, the cart has had minimal usage. (maybe 2 hours total)
I'm going to check it this weekend to see how it looks!

As for the header...
I loved it, and YES it made a difference!

BUT... (I didn't want to tell you this... ) I had to take it off!
The previous campground owner asked me to quiet my cart down, then he went bankrupt!
so... I put it back on, then the new owners asked me to quiet it down... I took it off again!
(I guess that's what I get for cruising the campground at 2:00 a.m.!)

I kept the jet and K&N, and sold the header/muffler to a fellow BGW member.
(along with my AS sport shifter) I like my Jake's shifter that I got from you much, MUCH better!

But, I'll always say good things about your "Performance Exhaust Kit"! (even with my goofy video on your website! )

I'll update soon!
Old 03-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #30
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

Think about this,remember when you could adjust the main mixture on lawnmower carbs? Remember when ya had the lower high speed needle out to far and it black smoked and sputtered till ya turned it in to lean it out a bit? Same thing,changing to a smaller dia. high speed jet is like turning the screw in a bit,ya lean it out. Now go put a smaller jet in the high speed side of the carb....
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car