lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
yamaha g1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 79 yamaha g1 wont start

I bought this G1 last year and ran it all over camp last season, it has been stored in my garage all winter as I was doing a restoration on it. Before I did anything to it I tried to start it and nothing happened. I have since replaced the start stop switch one of the solenoids (someone told me it was the problem) Last year I replaced the key switch, coil and put in a new battery. I can get the cart to start if I put a screwdriver across the terminal on either solenoid I also tried running a jumper cable from the 2 battery terminals to the 2 small terminals on the solenoid after I removed the cables from the solenoid and it started. I have traced every wire I can find with no luck I got juice going to every connection I can find. I have noticed that someone before me removed the fuse holder from the top of the wheel well and just spliced the 2 wires together, the other fuse is still there and was fine. The fuse that is missing is from the ground wire, but it ran ok like this last summer. Im going nuts any HELP will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
yamaha g1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Mrrogers24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 79 yamaha g1 wont start

Kinda sounds like a ground problem. Or a problem withe the solenoid. Why is there a fuse on the ground wire? Does it start in reverse? Does it crank at all when you press the pedal? If it doesnt crank but can jump the starter you need to find a problem with one of the connections. Do you have a voltmeter? I mean if the ground wire has a fuse missing, try to put a fuse in it to see what you got.. Hope i can almost help :p

Try this link:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...turn-over.html

Last edited by Mrrogers24; 03-04-2012 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: new info
Mrrogers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
yamaha g1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Hello, thanks for the info. I cannot get it to crank at all when I push the pedal and it won't start in forward or reverse.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

IIRC they had a fuse factory in both pos and neg, but the wire diagram is posted here. First thing is these carts (all yamaha) do not ground the frame like a car, everything has its own ground wire. So check all ground wires when you check positive wires. If you install lights or anything, don't use cart wiring and you must put your own ground to the battery or you will blow those fuses or at least the ground one....which might be what they did. Anyway, the engine is ground but sits on a cradle not the frame.

Look at the wire diagram, the pedal hots the whole cart up, the key picks forward or reverse. This picks one solenoid or the other to activate, uses one pickup coil or the other in the flywheel, and runs the gen one way or the other. So if you key on and hit the pedal you should see power at a solenoid, and the other in reverse. If you don't the problem is in key/pedal/their wires. You can test that with a meter or 12v test light. If you get power and its not working, ground the light/test there maybe the solenoid/etc has no ground you have to check that too. Also check both ends of the battery cables very common for them to get goofy as well as any fuse holder or connector on small wires. If a wire gets warm you happen to notice, that is a problem area. Remember if the problem were with a solenoid then it would still run the other direction, odds of them both going bad at once are slim.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
yamaha g1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the info, I have noticed that in the ground wiring below the solenoids someone has spliced into the ground wires and has attached a wire to the frame. Could this have something to do with it? I am still learning about these carts, so to ask a dumb question why does it start when I put a screwdriver across the large and small terminals on the solenoid it starts without pushing the pedal. THANKS for all your HELP!!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
daveswaves
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha g1 View Post
Thanks for the info, I have noticed that in the ground wiring below the solenoids someone has spliced into the ground wires and has attached a wire to the frame. Could this have something to do with it? I am still learning about these carts, so to ask a dumb question why does it start when I put a screwdriver across the large and small terminals on the solenoid it starts without pushing the pedal. THANKS for all your HELP!!
Because all the pedal does is provide power to the solenoid, the key switch decides which solenoid. You decided for them by bridging the terminals with the screwdriver. At least you know the starting circuit is good after the solenoids. From the sounds of your wiring you need to
replace the fuse, remove the spliced in wires from the solenoid to the frame. Check the positive fuse as well. Use the wiring diagram and make sure the wires go where they are supposed to. If lighting or stereo has been added or any other electrical, disconnect them you can re connect them after you have solved your starting problem
daveswaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
yamaha g1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for all the help It turned out to be the stop switch, it is a new one but was bad. The little button on the bottom would stick and not come all the way out, when I pull it out the cart starts right up!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Well that was easy. I assume it was aftermarket, even on these old G1 they don't go out very often.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
yamaha g1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Yes it was aftermarket i learned my lesson and ordered a genuine Yamaha one THANKS AGAIN for the
Old 03-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Glad you got it fixed, now go spin the tires on it lol!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha