lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Recoil
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 charging issue

Greetings fellow carters, i have a heavily modded G2 (rooster hehe) during the event last year i came to find that my cart refused to charge the battery while running. Ive tested it with a volt meter and have confirmed it there too. Dose this mean i need a new starter/charger? is there a way to see if its just brush's that need replaced? not to familiar with this starter/charger in one type of thing and not sure were to start or go from here. During the event i borrowed a trickle charger that i ran with a gas generator to keep me moving but i would like to not have to do this agean.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Recoil
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G2 charging issue

no one knows? would rather not go buy a new starter/charger lol

it starts the engine and runs but never gets to 14 volts when running so kills the battery in a hour or two run time
Old 04-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

There should be a voltage regulator that is likely the problem and some can be adjusted or replaced. Not knowing the year of your cart its hard to speculate any further, the regulator is much cheaper than getting the starter/alternator rebuilt. Look for loose or bad connections first on the small wires coming out of the starter/alternator.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddylac camper View Post
There should be a voltage regulator that is likely the problem and some can be adjusted or replaced. Not knowing the year of your cart its hard to speculate any further, the regulator is much cheaper than getting the starter/alternator rebuilt. Look for loose or bad connections first on the small wires coming out of the starter/alternator.
Great post.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
Recoil
Not Yet Wild

hmmm thank you for the heads up ill check that next, the cart is a 1986 G2-A Yamaha

so i take it since it still starts it probably isent the starter/generator then?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
SteveRand
Yamahaulin' CC Rider

Mixed Breed

There is a G2 schematic in the stickys at the top of this section, and you can trace the green and the red/white wires from the starter/generator to the regulator. It should produce over 13 volts when running.

The starter and generator circuits do not share anything in common, so the engine will turn over and run even if the generator coils are bad. the generator does not use the brushes. Check for continuity in the generator coil with one wire disconnected. The regulator could also be faulty.

Keep us posted...
SteveRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

I had a G9 that wouldnt charge but it would roll over and start. I switched out the voltage regulator with one off from a cart that was charging and still nothing. I then swaped out the starter generator and still it didnt charge. so i took the wiring harness completley out of the cart and i took all the loom and tape off from it and i found so many bare spots from rubbing i couldnt beleave it and one wire that had worn in half. Nothing was burnt and no signs of rubbing on the outside of the loom it was just after so many years use the wires just got old and worn out. After fixing the one wire and repairing all the other wires it charges great.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha