lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
rlester
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Can I make a clutch puller?

I know for snowmobiles, I've been able to make the odd clutch puller using bolts. Looking at the primary clutch on my 1995 G14, after the bolt was removed, I put a long screwdriver down the hole and could not find the bottom, must be pretty long.

Anybody made a homemade clutch puller with any success?
rlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
stevegoff
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Can I make a clutch puller?

Thankfully I haven't had to change the clutch on my G22 yet. I know it's not the same, but I just helped my brother-in-law change one out on an 85 ez-go this past weekend. After dust cover and bolt removal, we hit and hit and hit on it and it wasn't budging. Tried pry bars and nothing. Finally after 2 hours of that, we put a torch to it and it popped off with one tap.
stevegoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
shortthrow50
Not Yet Wild

How about a steering wheel or harmonic balancer puller. Would that work? You can rent one of those from auto part store
shortthrow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Unless someone knows the thread,its' better to buy the puller,Thread it in,usually one good burp on an impact and its' off.If you try to use a puller on the sheaves,you'll just end up buying a new clutch,and still have the old broken remains stuck on the crank.I wouldn't recommend prying or heating them,Ever!You can damage the clutch and the crank-seal.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I tried to come up with the M14 x 1 mm bolt required to make my own puller and found that finding this size in stock is impossible !! (I even got a quote to have one made but it wasn't cost effective). It is not a very common size! After extensive searching for something in stock, I gave up and purchased a puller, which, by the way, is the best way to pull a clutch. If you manage to find a bolt, let me know and I can give you the diameter and length of the rod required to do the pull. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Another sneaky thing to try that won't bugger anything up id to remove the bolt, pack that hole full of grease and then thread the bolt back in all you can. The resulting hydraulic pressure can sometimes build up enough to pop that thing off.......or tske the whole thing to a repair shop and let them do it for you.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
rlester
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yeah, looks like I'm buying a puller. That is a weird thread size so I called the Yamaha parts guy and it's 50 bucks for the correct puller. I'll pick that up tomorrow along with a new set of rings and a couple of motor mounts.

Looking forward to getting this engine back together. Maybe tonight I will take the secondary apart and fix the spring which popped out of its hole...
rlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Read a bit ago here in the Yammy section a guy claimed that the spark plug has the same threads needed. He posted a pic of a spark plug he welded a rod too to make his own puller. I saved the pic. (this is not my pic I didn't make it if you did I hope you aren't mad I reposted your pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0927.jpg (100.0 KB, 0 views)
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

NOTE - A 14 mm spark plug has a thread pitch of 1.25 mm and if used would result in some distorted threads either on the spark plug or in the clutch. I would not recommend the spark plug approach for your Yamaha. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I had a machinist make one on a lathe, I don't know if he cut the threads or used a die. Anyway I bent it trying to get my clutch off with a 3/4 impact so I guess you need to have them hardened. But I don't think my clutch has ever been off this 91 cart. I have another clutch so I don't care anyway, but would like to have a puller just the same. I may straighten out the end on this and send it in to get hardened. It pulled 3 clutches no problem with a 1/2" impact but did not like the 3/4 on it. This guy made it at home in his shop, he rebuilds machinery.

There is only one way we used to get a clutch off on a sled (that has a guard over it btw). You can't touch the thing, we used to take the bolt out a thread and duct tape over it, then drive around the yard very slowly for a while like <5mph. With no guard on a cart I can't recommend it, and it might not work because sleds engage higher rpm and vibrate more. After a while it would come loose and the sled stopped moving. The belt stopped the clutch right away and the bolt kept it on.

Now the secondary you can take a 3/4 rod at the base of the ramps and whack it hard a few times, it usually comes loose. Same thing leave the nut on most of the way. With any of them longer they been on the harder they seem to stick.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha