lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
aarolar
Not Yet Wild

Default Starter issues

I am having issues with my starter, when I push the the accelerator nothing happens until I pump it a few times then it will finally catch and go. Also the cable going from the battery to the solenoid has gotten so hot as to melt the sheathing. I am trying to determine if I need a new starter or if I have an issue somewhere else.

Should the drive belt slip free when the engine is not running and should the engine be able to idle without engaging the belt because mine will not. It acts like the engine has too much compression to turn the engine over. To make things even more confusing it seems to work easier when I have the transmission in neutral.
aarolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Starter issues

Sounds like you may have excessive resistance in your heavy starting circuit cables. Other possibilities are a weak battery or weak solenoid. Make sure all heavy cables are in good condition and all high current connections (including the battery terminals) are clean and tight. The pumping seems to help because when you pump, the engine inches through compression each time you pump. After it's past compression it is then easier for the starter to roll the engine and get up some speed. It may get up enough speed to roll through the next compression stroke resulting in start-up. Hope this helps - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If the starter-belt is slipping,its' probably worn or dried-out.Start by replacing it and adjust the new one properly.They don't actually idle,if you have the transmission in "Nuetral"(it doesn't really have nuetral,its' just a gap between the 2-directions),the engine will spin the belt,since the rear-axle is in nuetral and the engine is running.The Internals between the Input-Shaft(Clutch),and the Differential are unlocked and hence you have nuetral.Careful leaving it idling unsupervised,I had mine drop into gear and start to creep away(I have a Big-Block,so the engine runs all the time like a car,mower,etc..)Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
aarolar
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replys, after further investigation it turns out my battery was weak and after a good charge and replacing the damaged cable it starts fine now. I didn't at first assume a weak battery because just 2 weeks ago when I was getting this cart tuned up I cleaned all the connections and it was charging fine. So now I am trouble shooting the charging system.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Looks like you're getting it under control. Let us know if you need more help. - RAY
Old 10-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
aarolar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
Looks like you're getting it under control. Let us know if you need more help. - RAY
Thanks will do
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
aarolar
Not Yet Wild

Ok so two ~14ga wires coming from underneath the S/G with quick connects. Do these have anything to do with the charging system? I noticed they were disconnected tonight but didn't take the time to find my meter to check and see if it was charging now I suspect this was my issue and would explain why it just quit all sudden like.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If one is red and the other one is green, these would be the field wires for the generator section of your starter/generator. Your starter/generator would definitely not generate if these are disconnected. Did someone disconnect them ?? Strange that they are both disconnected!! Make sure you have connected red to red and green to green when replacing them. You should read between 13.5 and 14.5 volts on the battery with engine running if all is well. RAY
Old 10-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
aarolar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
If one is red and the other one is green, these would be the field wires for the generator section of your starter/generator. Your starter/generator would definitely not generate if these are disconnected. Did someone disconnect them ?? Strange that they are both disconnected!! Make sure you have connected red to red and green to green when replacing them. You should read between 13.5 and 14.5 volts on the battery with engine running if all is well. RAY
I imagine a limb or vine would be the culprit.

Edit: I checked it this morning and it is indeed charging but seems to be overcharging, got up to 17 volts revving it in neutral. Which direction should I turn at this point before replacing the regulator?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not sure what year your cart is, but the older carts had a mechanical regulator (Hitachi), which is adjustable. The newer carts have a solid state regulator (not adjustable) but replaceable. 17 volts at your battery would indicate a voltage regulator problem. Good luck - RAY

PS-Better keep an eye on the water level in your battery until you get things sorted out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha