lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Dean Wise
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car carryall 272

Late this fall I purchased a 2003 club car Carryall 272 with enclosed cab from a local city.
They had taken it out of service, and then picked the bones for spare parts , so it has been somewhat of a jigsaw puzzle to revive this old girl.
I have a fe 400 engine with new carb, 200rpm spring on the drive clutch, power spring for driven clutch. Both clutches machined, and kevlar drive belt.
It came with 12x 23 tires, and I put 12x25 agressive atv 6ply tires on the rear.

It runs great, starts great, idles great, runs smooth , shifts well, on level ground.
On small hills it has no problems pulling them. It will spin the tires with the differential locked on muddy ground, but on a long steep hill it runs out of power.

I checked to make sure the clutches are working, and the belt is going all the way up on the drive, and the driven clutches, and the drive clutch at wot is clear to the top.
The driven clutch at idle is almost clear to the root diameter of the kevlar belt grooves.

What have I missed?
There has been a lot of electrical parts replaced, voltage regulator,starter/generator. cleaned flywhell magnets, cleaned, and gapped mag. bypassed rev limiter.

The engine has good compression, and does not smoke. 1435 hours on the engine.

I bought this to haul firewood on my 160 acres, because the footprint is smaller than an atv pulling a trailor, and I could get into tighter places in the woods.

Any other ideas would be a great help. This site has been great, and the vendors have also been helpful.

If that is all I can get out of this fe 400 my next option is GO WILD with a big block.

Thanks, for all of the help.

Dean
Dean Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Buickguy
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club car carryall 272

I only have a DS with the FE290, but you should be able to pull hills with your CarryAll, particularly unloaded.
Your throttle linkage/governor linkage might not be adjusted optimally.
My DS goes up grade nicely, even with passengers and a trailer.
Another guy in my campground was having problems with the same hill with a 98 CC DS gasser and asked me how mine was so good.
I adjusted his throttle/governor linkage like mine (nothing really radical) and now his climbs as well as mine.
Don't know for sure if that is your trouble but its worth a try.
Buickguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Dean Wise
Not Yet Wild

Wink Re: Club car carryall 272

"Thank You", for the reply.
All of the linkage adjustments are untouched so far.
I was glad to see you, and I were thinking the next step was to do that.
I have been putting off doing that, because I didn't want to buy a tac.
I was going to check to see if the linkage was opening the carb up all of the way, considering I have replaced the carb.
The engine seems to be reving pretty high , but as I get older that rev spring sounds to be tighter than it used to be.
I guess because I get to fix things if I over rev them.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Buickguy
Getting Wild

Club Car

I didn't remove my rev limiter, just adjusted the linkage. That got me pretty good hill climbing. When I zip tied the ground speed governor, it then became possible to bounce off the rev limiter. I don't have a tach since I don't tend to push it to top speed all that often. When I do, if I bounce off the rev limiter. I just back off my heavy foot a bit and keep in under the rev limit. I do have the severe duty drive belt installed
I get about 18 to 20 mph doing that, like I said, nothing radical.
I like having the extra grunt to pull a trailer, so no high speed gears for mine either.
There are times where more top speed would be nice but my majority of use is as a working cart.

I don't really like to talk about work, as motors and motoring are my hobby and relaxation but my camp ground is an outdoor club and I am a firearms instructor.
I'll have three students on the cart with me, pulling a 4x8 utility trailer loaded with guns and range gear and still be able to climb a pretty good hill trucking it all up to the range.
Your CarryAll should be able to haul at least as much, considering the FE 400.
Buickguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
wopster1
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Cool Re: Club car carryall 272

have you checked the fuel filter
wopster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
Dean Wise
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again to all for the help, and Ideas. I hope to have time this weekend to adjust, and check everything out.
When I put the cart into service the first thing I did was changed all of the fluids, and filters, and even replaced the fuel pump .

I didn't know if I killed all of my power by putting oversized tires on , or if I had missed the most obvious.
Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees.
All in all I am very happy with all of my modifications. I was just hoping to have more power.

I know it is supposed to carru 1800 pounds, but I don't know if that includes the full cab or not.
I am sure with all of the steel, and glass that number is probably not correct, although I have had at least 500 pounds of fire wood in the bed , and the springs on the back did not even budge.
I am sure with all of the good minds I have helping me I will conquer this.
A man built it, and a man can fix it.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Dean Wise
Not Yet Wild

Well the saga goes on.
Last weekend I got the linkage adjusted, and did some other maintenance Items to the cc, and noticed the engine cradle being lower in the front than in the rear, so I took the snubber off, and turned it over, and reattached it making things allmost level. There is still about 1/8 " lower in the front than in the rear.
I changed the oil, and filter with a synthetic 10 w 30 engine oil.
It took 1.25 qts. to bring things to the full mark.
Now is where things get mind boggling. I started the engine, and I am blowing oil out of the engine. Things are smoking like I am fogging for mosquitos.
I ran around the field here for about 10 minutes, and blew out almost all of the oil.
I searched this site, and others looking for cause, and cures with not much help.
Has anyone had this happen, and what did you do to cure it?
I can't think making throttle adjustments, leveling the engine, or changing the oil, and filter could have caused this.
The smoking might have been why the city took this out of service, but why did it not smoke, and now start smoking.
It seems to have a great deal of crankcase pressure, but removing the crankcase vent from the catbuator it purrs like a kitten , but is blowing pressure, and oil out of the vent.
Is there something stuck open letting this happen, or has something let loose because I leveled the engine?
I have been to the local shops, and no help so far.
At this point I am standing around scratching my head, and bottom wondering what to do next, or to rewind everything back to where it was before.
I have not even been able to tell if I got any more power because ir running so ratty while smoking.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

Where are u located?

I would do a compression check, and then, personally i am leaning toward bad valve seals. I have had a couple higher hour engines that needed them replaced. like $10 for the pair or something.
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Dean Wise
Not Yet Wild

I am located in Southeastern Ohio.
I come from a mechanical background. I was a Machinist for 6 years, a welder for seven years, and have sold speciality lubricants for industrial applications,and heavy equipment for the past 32 years.
My Father sold these same products for 30 years before I started.
He was a great mechanic.
I guess I can't get a grip on how this engine works. The valve seals should normally not have any compression forcing against them if the valves are not carboned up or burnt to the point of not holding compression.
This engine is Showing 62 psi compression with the compression release clicking.
The book shows 57 for the high end. I am saying, if compression is in spec where is all of the blow by coming from.
Does the compression release vent to the crankcase ,or out the exhaust ?
Could the compression release be stuck, causing excessive blow by?
I like to have an Idea what I am looking for before starting exploratory surgery.
I guess I need to find someone who rebuilds these engines.
All of the shops I have talked to say they just replace the engine when they run into things like that.
I guess that could be why the city auctioned this one off, or these shops just want to sell me an engine.
If I go to the trouble to pull the engine is it worth rebuilding or should I go ahead and bite the bullet and replace it.
Any opinions would be helpful.
Thank You
Old 01-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

if the valve seals are worn it will suck the oil/air mixture out of the valve cover and into the combustion chamber. this problem is worse as the rubber in them gets cold.

the last carryall I had would smoke VERY badly untill the motor was good n warm. then it would slow down and not so bad. when it got colder out it fogged the yard constantly. However it never ran through as much oil as you are describing.

I've talked to a couple tecs whe never seen a 400, me either. just 290 and 350. Maybe search out http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/members/tahoedawgz71/ and send him a pm
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car