lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
craigy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Belt too tight?

I few weeks ago I put a Gates 6098 belt on my Workhorse. It was, and still is very tight. When cranking the engine in gear, it will move the cart forward, but only if heading slightly down hill. I usually have to put it in neutral to get it started, and warm it up for 30 seconds or so, then put it in drive. It will usually NOT start it if I am heading up hill. The tight belt does not allow the engine to turn over fast enough. Suggestions?
craigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2018, 03:20 AM   #2
craigy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Belt too tight?

Anybody?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
jcgonzal
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like some guys have issues with the shorter 6098 belt...may have to go back to stock length.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...workhorse.html
jcgonzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Start in neutral until the belt stretches some. There should be a 3/4 inch deflection in the belt when the motor is off.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
craigy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I’ll check to see what the deflection is. Almost always have to start it in neutral, unless it’s already warmed up.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That same belt was pretty tight on my 96 TXT. It performed just fine and started OK from the minute I installed it. The 6098 is about 3/8" shorter than the other "short" belt recommended. Rather than going back to stock you might try the one that is a tiny bit longer than the 6098.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
cartpartsplusman
Getting Wild
Club Car

i just cannt resist the short belt thing,the cart is designed to use a certain belt length if your belt is the size it is meant to be it works like it sould if by putting a shorter belt on helps either top speed or take off something was not right before. if your short belt pulls into the rear clutch deeper than it was meant to you you may gain speed. but you may rip out your motor mounts or wear the belt because it running on a flat surface,not where it needs to be.if you belt rides to high in the drive clutch on take off your in second gear when you start.if you buy 2 belts the same number they sould be the same length if not find a new belt manufacturer.if you want to fine tune move the motor or the rear end to the correct center to center distance.ez go has more belt sizes than everyone else,and thats why many people end up with the wrong one hope this helps somebody.
cartpartsplusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #8
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If everything worked perfectly for everyone as designed and manufactured there would be no need for aftermarket performance parts. Just replacement parts. Yet there are an infinite number of outlets that will sell performance parts as well as standard replacement parts. Like machined clutches, clutch tuning kits, engine upgrades, etc.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
van the man
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I had to get a new driven clutch (thanks, kids) for my 86 marathon and I ordered a replacement short belt to go with it. It had a short belt on it before the clutch cratered, made a big difference. the new short belt with the new clutch didn't work out well at all. lots of vibrations, rolling while starting, etc. Really ran like crap. I took it off and put a stock belt on.
van the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO