lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
Glide11
Not Yet Wild

Default no gas getting to spark plug

here's an update and more problems. It is an 83 ezgo 2 cycle gas 2pg motor. The motor has been rebuilt top and bottom end, new drive clutch, new carb, new drive belt, converted to hei ignition. oil pump removed and pre mixing gas. The piston is installed the correct way, the hole towards the intake side, cannot be seen from the exhaust hole. Now the problem. The spark plug will not get any gas to it. I have removed the bolt where the oil goes in on the intake and poured gas in there and it will fire off. So I know i have spark. I have the muffler disconnected to be sure it is not clogged and not causing the problem. It will not work connected or disconnected. I have tried running it with the new carb and the old carb, neither will work. With the fuel pump hooked up it blew gas out of the vent tube on the new carb so i made a temporary gravity feed tank. Not sure if it does the same on the old carb. With the gravity feed tank the carb does not overflow. Both carbs are getting gas in the bowl. I checked by loosening the bowl and gas came out of both carbs. The reed valves are clean, not cracked or broke, and does not seem to be bent. Is there anything with rebuilding the motor i could have messed up on for it not to pull gas into the motor? I know both carbs could be a possibility. But want to rule out anything else before i get another carb. This cart is driving me crazy!!
Glide11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: no gas getting to spark plug

Having gas as far as the carb, next it needs to draw into the lower end of the motor. Crank seals have to hold tight to create the suction necessary as the piston travels up. Then the reed valves have to close tight as the piston travels downward to create the pressure that moves the fuel air mix to the combustion chamber. Sounds like something in that path is your culprit. Try the string test. With the intake hose off the carb inlet hold a piece of string in front of the carb inlet as the engine is cranked. It should pulse toward the carb. No pulse at all and it's probably crank seals. If it pulses back & forth, toward & away from the carb inlet it's probably reeds.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Did you put sealer on the case halves?

If the case isn't airtight, it will act like bad seals.

It won't draw fuel in, and the fuel pump won't work.

Here is another thing to check.

If the nut on the bottom of the float bowl is too tight, it will crush the bottom of the bowl. That will block the cross drilled holes that allow fuel to go through the main jet. The bowl will get gas, but it will be trapped, and then spew out of the vent.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #4
Glide11
Not Yet Wild

The case halves were sealed, as far as the bottom bolt on the carb I dont feel it's to tight, I just finger tight then a bit more. All other advice I should be able to check this weekend. Work has been keeping me there late

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Glide11
Not Yet Wild

Pictures of the Reed valve

Old 09-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
Glide11
Not Yet Wild

Not sure if the thread is doing what it is supposed to or not, so maybe this video will showhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b9d58c8...915_140502.mp4

Old 09-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

The reeds don't look bad to me although it's really hard to tell from a pic. But I don't see any obvious broken ones......

I've never had to do the string test but looking at the video I don't believe it's sucking near enough, I'm back to thinking there's a breach in the case somewhere.......

Crankshaft seals, mating surfaces at the case halves. crack in the case, cylinder base gasket etc.......

I'd do a compression test, Just because it's new doesn't mean it's tight. It's possible the piston/rings aren't sucking air from the case on the up stroke, Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Dabble Inn hit on something with the compression. I know that the piston was in wrong, and that you turned it around.

Did you happen to check the rings? They need to be installed with the bevel side up, and the ends wrapped around the alignment pins that are in the ring grooves.

The HEI mod has been done. Try switching the red, and blue wires from the pulsar.

Even after those two thoughts, it still seems like there is an air leak in the lower case.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
Glide11
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Dabble Inn hit on something with the compression. I know that the piston was in wrong, and that you turned it around.

Did you happen to check the rings? They need to be installed with the bevel side up, and the ends wrapped around the alignment pins that are in the ring grooves.

The HEI mod has been done. Try switching the red, and blue wires from the pulsar.

Even after those two thoughts, it still seems like there is an air leak in the lower case.
The motor was rebuilt top and bottom, new seals, bearings, crank, piston all of it. Spark seems to be good, problem is not gas getting to spark plug. I will get a compression test done, other than that what is best to use to see if the case is leaking

Old 09-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #10
Glide11
Not Yet Wild

Also I dont remember the rings having a bevel that came with this kit. I also made sure the rings were around the pins unless they moved getting put in the cylinder

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO