lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
Wise1
Not Yet Wild

Default 05 EZGO surging at low speed

Hey all new here first post. I just picked up a 2005 ezgo that runs good at WOT but surges bad at low speed. I checked the valves and they were good. The compression is 135/155. I changed the oil that smelled like gas and was overfilled with the lift. The plug were black but not wet. One of the things that i wasnt sure about is there is alot of blowby from the crankcase. If i unhook it from the carb the cart runs fine but is blowing alot of smoke out of the hose. When it is hooked up the cart doesnt smoke at all.

I did my best at adjusting cables no matter what I do the cart still surges. Even in neutral holding the pedal in one spot the engine revs up then almost dies then revs up again. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Wise1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2018, 04:37 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 05 EZGO surging at low speed

You need to first check the timing of the carb butterfy. Listen for the microswitch clicking under the floor near the pedal. once you can hear this, you need to watch the carb linkage. Make sure the carb butterfly is FULLY closed with the pedal up. then watch the linkages or butterfly if you have the filter off. slowly depress the gas pedal until the moment you hear the switch click, while watching the carb. If the butterfly/linkages start to move before you hear the click, that's your problem right there. You need to adjust the cables/linkages so that the switch clicks BEFORE the carb starts to open. If the carb will not fully close with the pedal up, then you need to adjust the cables/linkages to make sure this is correct too. Look on the drivers side of the carb. you will see a set screw for setting idle on the engine for a different application. maybe it is wound in too far and holding the throttle open ( some people believe it gives more speed ). If so, back it off or remove it completely, it is not needed for use of this engine in a cart. Check all of this and you should hopefully solve your problem. If all this is correct and you still have the issue, we can look elsewhere. The issue is usually caused by the carb being slightly open before the switch turns on the ignition and when the switch turns on the ignition, the carb is already allowing fuel in to the engine, the stuttering you feel is the ignition switching on and off while the carb is supplying fuel. You may also get backfiring due to this and it just may be giving you the blowby you speak of.

Hope you understand all this and i hope it will help.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:53 AM   #3
RedfishM1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Lifted, black plugs runs WOT, oil smells like gas.. Remove carb, remove bowl, clean all. Depending on lift height you need to set the float at the engine angle, not level. Excessive blow-by may be the gas evaporating due to the flooding situation. Fuel gasses at a lower temp than oil but when fuel is added to oil it releases VOCs thus the smoke.
Now, somebody help me with an ignitor problem.
RedfishM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #4
RedfishM1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Let me clarify the angle thing. The lift changes the fuel level in relation to the float and gas can get into the bowl vent.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I had a 2000 with a surging problem, I don't know if the 05 is the same set up but on the linkage going from the carb to the governor, that runs in front of the timing cover was adjusted to short, it has a little piece of cable in the middle of the linkage rod and it has to have a little slack in it. (droop a little)

also If it's getting gas in the oil it could be a pin hole in the diaphragm of the fuel pump.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
RedfishM1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You can check the diaphragm by pulling the vac line off and see if its wet, mine has a small weep hole to check it.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #7
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Another newbie fly by, can't even acknowledge someone trying to help.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
Wise1
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the delay respoding guys. I ended up taking the cart back to the guy I got it from but before I did I checked the butterfly backed the screw all the way out and tried adjusting the cables some more but could never get it going right with the crankcase vent tube hooked up to the air box.

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk
Wise1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO