lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #11
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Robbin EH29C broken rod - Do I need a full Rebuild kit?

First place I stopped was Tractor Supply...no fine thread bolts that I could find. I did find a old timey fastener shop about 40 mins from me, took a not so quick ride on the bike up there and got what I needed. What ever happened to old mom and pop hardware stores...This place had a line out the door, and reasonable prices, $1.88 for the bolt. I will use the hydraulic method...fill the annular space with oil, then use thread tape and run the bolt down with an impact...Shouldn't mushroom against fluid...will strip threads before it does that...It will pop off. Gotta finish some real work first to pay the bills, then see what happens.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #12
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Clutch "popped" off without a problem...now the bigger issue.
Anyone ever have a head bolt get stuck on the way out? My dewalt 20v impact won't turn it out, without a breaker bar, a 1/2 drive socket wrench isn't moving it. I can put an impact on it, but geesh....this is on the way out, not tightening it. Hat to mess up the threads in the aluminum block. Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #13
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Aluminum expands twice as fast as steel does with heat. I would heat the head.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #14
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Aluminum expands twice as fast as steel does with heat. I would heat the head.
Thanks Cart...was thinking the same thing after posting, I put some WD-40 on it and put some heat to the block. Took it easy, turn both ways, a little more each time and it came out. Bolt is actually intact, not sure about the threads in the block. It was weird...came out a couple turns, then bound up. Need to get a tap in that hole to clean up the threads, but the heat definitely opened up the bolt hole enough to loosen the grip on the bolt.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #15
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Anyone have any success polishing a crankshaft journal and having it last without destroying the rod bearing surface? One Crankshaft journal has some scoring in the direction of rotation...planning on getting some emory cloth, 400 and 600, using a shoe lace around the emory cloth and journal, using some oil, and work it till the ridges smooth out where I can't feel them with a fingernail. I'm afraid I may end up taking too much material and end up with play at the crank journal. More room for oil?
Old 08-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

My thoughts, is that the more room for oil creates oil pressure issues.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #17
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
My thoughts, is that the more room for oil creates oil pressure issues.
Not sure I follow where you are going with this?

I'm just talking about the tolerance between the rod and journal on the crank. I mean, this thing ran until one of the rod bolts came out completely...meaning it was loose for some time and worked it's way out of the rod entirely at which point the thing let loose and broke the rod. I put a 6" caliper on it, but wasn't getting consistent measurements...put another caliper on it from the same mfg. and got different inconsistent measurements. Ultimately, I can't tell if I am within tolerance or not now, and suspect that I won't be in tolerance after I polish the journal. I was just curious if anyone has repaired a journal like this and had long term success?
Old 08-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #18
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I think what CP was saying is if the shaft is worn it will lose oil pressure as the engine gets hot because of the space that is there because of it being worn.

These crankshafts are pretty tough. I have been able to save them. Just be careful on how much you remove with emery cloth.

See if you can clean it up the best you can and have someone check the crankshaft with micrometer. Here are you specs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exgo crankshaft specs .jpg (67.7 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #19
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Update: Lower is back together...crank cleaned up very well. Broke a valve guide pulling a seal off. $46 for one at DIY golf Cart, and $34 @ performance plus carts....seems steep. Any better source? Also, any concerns with removal, replacement? I have the manual, says press it out. Does it matter which direction?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #20
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Got the valve guide out and ordered a new guide...sounds like I need to re-cut the valve seat when the new guide goes in...doesn't seem like that should be necessary. Will I need to ream the new guide? Possible to just do an extensive lap job on it to get the new valve to seat? Maybe use the old valve to do the initial "cut", and the new valve to seat it? Any thoughts? Any "do it yourself" tricks to install the new guide and cut the valve seat?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO