lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #31
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Robbin EH29C broken rod - Do I need a full Rebuild kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
If anyone can miss a bolt, its me. Now you got me worried. Other than the cylinder head bolts inside the head, are there others I am missing? There are 7 head bolts, already torqued down, 1/2 spec first, full spec second. Ran through same full spec again same order to be sure.

Yes, head is on...cam will be next, then rocker assembly. I am going in order through the reassembly manual...not sure I will get time again to work on it till this weekend....ugh! I was hoping to get the cam and rocker assembly in tonight...no such luck.

As a heads up for anyone else that gets a rebuild kit in the future, they do seem to come with head gaskets for both 295 and 350 heads. The 295 gasket is the smaller diameter bore...just compare the two. Mine happened to be the white head gasket...silver one is extra part. JUST AN FYI. LOL
Yours will be just fine. Let us know how it runs. These engines rock
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #32
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, it looks like an engine. Unfortunately, my purchasing department failed to order the oil filter, air filter, and new plugs. Gotta wait till Saturday now. Anticipation until then I guess.

Hopefully, this carb isn't too far off. I suck at adjusting carbs. Unfortunately, it looks new, pulled the bowl, and appears to never have had gas in it. Should be a good thing, but curious as to why. I know the previous owner and I both tried to turn it over...there is a new fuel pump too, so it should have drawn fuel into the carb. Will find out Saturday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200813_202232.jpg (200.0 KB, 0 views)
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #33
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Very happy with getting it working...I would say it started as soon as I got gas to the carb....but I had a scare first. Had it in the cart, turning over fine or so it seemed. I couldn't get any pressure from the crank to draw fuel...put a compression tester on, 0 psi. Looked at the piston...no movement. AAAHHHH!!! Dumb move on my part. I got interrupted while pitting the clutch on...didn't tighten the bolt. Tightened it up, and fired right up. 15 mph on the flat...so sounds about right for a stocker TXT. It will end up getting more motor in the near future. Thanks for the help and discussion along the way.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:50 PM   #34
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, it appears that it seized up. Not sure what happened...started acting like it had no power...then just quit. Pulled the plugs, pistons are in the same position, so not likely a broken rod. Wasn't running fast when it quit...I'm guessing I wasn't getting adequate oil to the rod journals. I did prime the crank per the manual and oil came out of both journal holes. Wondering if maybe my pump wasn't working. I don't have a low oil pressure light hooked up to the sensor...just an empty wire. Guess I need to find one and get that hooked up. Time to tear it apart again...Ugh! Ready to just do the v-twin upgrade and be done with it.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:46 PM   #35
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Sorry for all your trouble but I got to say its worth installing an oil light when you rebuild one of these engines. Maybe even a manual gauge. Hope you don't have lots of damage.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #36
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Trig...hopefully get to take it apart tomorrow...should go pretty easy on the disassembly as It has been done so very recently.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #37
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, apart she is. Looks like the rod journal wasn't getting oil. Other journal was wet, cylinder walls were wet. It is the far piston from the pump...I know the passage in the crank was clear...just put some oil in the crank port by the fan, tilt up the crank and oil flows from the affected journal hole. How do I know if my oil pump is working? The pump parts appear to be in good shape.
Not loose, and no weird visible defects. I would think the pump has to work as cylinder walls and other crank journal were wet. Crazy part is that it isn't the same journal that was affected the first time. Obviously the first time was a dropped bolt, but that journal seems to be OK after the repair. Why would the other journal fail this time? Any thoughts? Still had some evidence of assembly lube on the crank. Would that affect oil getting onto the journal? I think I used that to lube the rod to crank connections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200818_164901.jpg (223.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-18-2020, 09:17 PM   #38
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
Well, apart she is. Looks like the rod journal wasn't getting oil. Other journal was wet, cylinder walls were wet. It is the far piston from the pump...I know the passage in the crank was clear...just put some oil in the crank port by the fan, tilt up the crank and oil flows from the affected journal hole. How do I know if my oil pump is working? The pump parts appear to be in good shape.
Not loose, and no weird visible defects. I would think the pump has to work as cylinder walls and other crank journal were wet. Crazy part is that it isn't the same journal that was affected the first time. Obviously the first time was a dropped bolt, but that journal seems to be OK after the repair. Why would the other journal fail this time? Any thoughts? Still had some evidence of assembly lube on the crank. Would that affect oil getting onto the journal? I think I used that to lube the rod to crank connections.
You are going to have to check things with a mic to see if it is within specs. Too much clearance and it will dump oil pressure as soon as it gets hot. I am betting that is what happened. Get someone at a machine shop to do it for you.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO