lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
cardsrok
Getting Wild

Default 82 G1 muffler modification(using a different year muffler)

I have an 82 G1 that the muffler seems to be restrictive. It is very heavy and I'm not entirely sold on the muffler bbq. Has anyone modified a non 82 muffler to fit on an 82? I know they are different mufflers and that year isn't available. Thanks!
cardsrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 82 G1 muffler modification(using a different year muffler)

What is it that makes you think it's restrictive? As far as I know the muffler's should be interchangeable. The G1 did come with an early and a late design. Plus there are a number of aftermarket mufflers available. As old as these carts are I doubt the muffler is original, but it's possible. I know 82 is the low compression model engine, but I'm not sure you can't use a standard muffler on an 82, just not vice versa.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #3
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsrok View Post
I have an 82 G1 that the muffler seems to be restrictive. It is very heavy and I'm not entirely sold on the muffler bbq. Has anyone modified a non 82 muffler to fit on an 82? I know they are different mufflers and that year isn't available. Thanks!
the 82 did have a different exhuast than other years, I had one and it was heavy compared to my other G1 exhuasts and it does seem to be more restrictive, look in the end of theservice manual at the bottom of my post and youll see a diagram of it, its like a maze inside. the other systems are not like that.

to answer your question you can swap to another year pipe but youll also need the exhaust manifold or nut ring, its the part that bolts to the head. you may have to bump the main jet size up as i think the 82 had a smaller main jet as well
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
cardsrok
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
the 82 did have a different exhuast than other years, I had one and it was heavy compared to my other G1 exhuasts and it does seem to be more restrictive, look in the end of theservice manual at the bottom of my post and youll see a diagram of it, its like a maze inside. the other systems are not like that.

to answer your question you can swap to another year pipe but youll also need the exhaust manifold or nut ring, its the part that bolts to the head. you may have to bump the main jet size up as i think the 82 had a smaller main jet as well
Thanks. I have another nut ring that is different than what is on it now that I could use if needed. Maybe I shouldn't have used "restrictive". It will run 19mph but you said that year is heavier than others. I was just thinking it might have a lot of oil build up in it. Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
plowman
Getting Wild

as far as i know im the only one that still makes them , they have been on back order ( like every thing else ) they will be back in stock this fri.
plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
cardsrok
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
as far as i know im the only one that still makes them , they have been on back order ( like every thing else ) they will be back in stock this fri.
I am interested in a new one if I don't have to do any mods. Just pm if you have a new one and a simple bolt on. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:42 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
I have used his mufflers, they are high quality and sound great. With the jet kit the speed of the cart increased as well.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I have used his mufflers, they are high quality and sound great. With the jet kit the speed of the cart increased as well.
I have as well
Old 10-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #9
cardsrok
Getting Wild

Does anyone know what a stock 82 muffler should weigh?
Old 10-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

throw that boat anchor away lol

i mean if your dead set on using it by all means BBQ it

i installed a J10 exhaust and carb on a J17 engine and it ran great.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha