lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2020, 09:33 PM   #1
Zebulun20
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 G16A Is Idling After Ignition Is Turned Off

I took out its carburetor, cleaned it and put it back and it fired right away but had a huge backfire and now it won't stop idling even when i turn the key off. The only way to get it to stop his unplugging the battery, any ideas?
Zebulun20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #2
Zebulun20
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1996 G16A Is Idling After Ignition Is Turned Off

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Check the plug with the blue & black wires at the front of the engine. And back-off the screw that's holding the throttle blade slightly open (or adjust the cable, if there is no slack on the cable at the carb).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:33 PM   #4
Zebulun20
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, it was the problem. Now I got another one. Its running for about 45 seconds then it idles and it wont start back up until i leave it alone for awhile. I was told it could be eletrical. Its getting gas and I am getting sparks, any ideas?
Old 08-04-2020, 11:46 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Bad TCI (coil) is the most common cause, and your description fits that to a tee. And I'm not going "round-and-round" on that either, you can either believe me, or dont believe me & keep chasing it. I've seen a bad tci do this far more times than I can count, & fixed it with a tci replacement.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

While I have not had that issue and therefore should not offer my opinion, I will offer it anyway.

In my opinion, you should listen to what CGTECH is telling you, he has a ton of experience with gas Yamahas. I have seen him diagnose a ton of peoples issues here, so have confidence in trying what is suggested!
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:43 AM   #7
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Are you sure that its actually idling and not just the starter running due to a stuck solenoid?
I ask because you say the only way to kill it is to disconnect the battery which kills the starter.

I get calls every week with folks saying that the car idles but wont accelerate. What's really happening is that the starter is turning over but the car isn't starting.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
Zebulun20
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Bad TCI (coil) is the most common cause, and your description fits that to a tee. And I'm not going "round-and-round" on that either, you can either believe me, or dont believe me & keep chasing it. I've seen a bad tci do this far more times than I can count, & fixed it with a tci replacement.

Thank you very much, ill take a look when I can. really appreciate you help!!
Old 08-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #9
Zebulun20
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstacy View Post
Are you sure that its actually idling and not just the starter running due to a stuck solenoid?
I ask because you say the only way to kill it is to disconnect the battery which kills the starter.

I get calls every week with folks saying that the car idles but wont accelerate. What's really happening is that the starter is turning over but the car isn't starting.

Got it to work, thank you for your imput!
Old 08-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #10
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

That's great news, glad you got it working!

Was the solenoid stuck?
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g16a, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha