lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
treadhead
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 club car dont move...new batts

I just purchased a 1998 club car.I installed 6 new 8 volt batteries.The cart doesnt even try to do anything.I charged the batts and still nothing.I checked the voltage and it has 49.6 volts at the last batt.The cart had bad batteries when i bought it so i never got to try it first.I called the previous owner and asked him if he knew of anything wrong with it and he said no.any good ideas would help me.I am an auto mechanic but not for shure all the electroics on this machine.where should i start.
treadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
treadhead
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1998 club car doesnt move

[QUOTE=treadhead;399532]I just purchased a 1998 club car.I installed 6 new 8 volt batteries.The cart doesnt even try to do anything.I charged the batts and still nothing.I checked the voltage and it has 49.6 volts at the last batt.The cart had bad batteries when i bought it so i never got to try it first.I called the previous owner and asked him if he knew of anything wrong with it and he said no.any good ideas would help me.I am an auto mechanic but not for sure all the electronics on this machine.where should i start or some advice would be nice.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
A.D.
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1998 club car dont move...new batts

Did it move prior to the battery swap???
A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
treadhead
Not Yet Wild

i just bought the car and it had dead batteries.the person i bought it from said it worked fine last year.so i dont know 4 sure
Old 05-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
A.D.
Gone Wild

Get a volt meter and start checking the cart out. It could be a number of things. The best place to start is what i call the low amp side of the system this goes from the batteries to the key switch to the F/R switch to the Throttle (Pot-box or V-Glide???) to the solenoid and back to the baterries. Start tracing the voltage and find where the break is should be the small wires running from each.

FYI...put the cart on jackstands so if and when you find the problem the cart does not take off, but do not run long on stands the motor may come apart!!
A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
treadhead
Not Yet Wild

ok thanks i will try tonight to do that.i will post more when i find out where the break is.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
treadhead
Not Yet Wild

i just checked the voltage from the key switch to the throttle then to the main box in the rear and all was good.The voltage turned on and off with the touch off the throttle.I get nothing out of the large control box.how do i know what throttle i have.Mine has large copper squares that has one slide up and down on.should there be voltage in these copper blocks because mine dont.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
Gorhad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm assuming large box you mean controller?

When you press the pedal does the solenoid click?
Gorhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #9
Gorhad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is this what your cart's wiring looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring diagram.jpg (93.3 KB, 29 views)
Gorhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
treadhead
Not Yet Wild

yes my solenoid clicks and i get voltage through it all the way to the control box.I dont know how the high voltage side works.When does the solenoid kick on to the motor?both of my solenoids have voltage to one of the large wires and both of the small wires whenever the key is on.Is that normal?What triggers the solenoids? What happens to tell it to send power?Does one wire change to a ground?Also is there a way to hot wire the motor to check it?
THANKS FOR THE HELP
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car