lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2pg vs 3pg

Ok..There are a bunch of folks here who have more knowledge on this subject than me so please jump in for those of us that don't know!

What exactly are the differences between the 2PG and 3PG motors besides orientation in the engine compartment?

Thanks!
Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2pg vs 3pg

A short history of the PG engine, enjoy.

-In 1976 the so-called '2pg'--a 244cc, Fuji Heavy Industries/Robin Engine--with an internal starter generator (st/gen), became standard. Repair parts are still available except for the crankshaft assembly, the voltage regulator/starter relay and the internal st/gen stator & field.

-In 1980, an external, Hitachi brand starter generator was introduced and the engine was modified. The crank bearings, drive clutch, point set & condenser, voltage regulator and the engine frame all changed.

-1981 ushered in an electronic ignition system, which did away with the golf carts point set & condenser altogether, and the point activator lobe on the crankshaft soon went away too. Except for the addition of an oil injection system, this engine went virually unchanged until 1989 when the 3pg golf cart engine replaced it. Although the two engines are similar, many parts are very different.

-1983 was the oddball year for the 2pg engine. The muffler was placed behind the engine and it layed down instead of standing up. The '83 golf cart had a different engine frame, muffler & exhaust stack. It only lasted one year though...lots of problems.

In '84 the E-Z-GO golf cart went back to the old exhaust system & stand-up muffler on the driver side of the car.

1988 was the last full year of the 2pg engine. A larger golf cart carburetor and another change to the muffler & exhaust system were implemented trying to get more power for the car. The st/gen bracket also went through several changes as the incresed power caused the original bracket to break apart.

In mid-year 1989, (early '89 models had the 2pg engine) E-Z-GO changed to the '3pg' engine, leaving the old 2pg to history. The '3pg' engine has the spark plug turned upward, and the whole engine is rotated such that both clutches face the driver side of the golf cart. This rotation allowed for the differential to be changed from a hypoid gearing to a more efficient helical gear design, a change that persists to this day. The lay-down style golf cart muffler for the '3pg' engine is in front of, and slightly above the engine. The piston is about the only part that works in either engine. The crankshaft & clutches, the exhaust system, the carburetor, air intake & control cables all changed.

1992 is the generally accepted date that the twin-cylider 4-cycle engine became the standard power plant but in fact the 3pg engine can be found in golf carts as late as 1994.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for posting that Dave. I came across that on one of my rabbit trails but others may not have seen it. Hopefully we can make this a complete thread for those that come-a-lookin' for info on these carts.

I was also interested in what if any internal construction may be different and how it is different...as well as what the HP/Torque/RPM ratings are for both types.
Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks for the lesson dave
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
tradermark
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Great information!!

I just acquired a 92 GXT-800 with a 3PG but my 93 GXI-804 has the 295 4 cycle.
tradermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Stock, the 3pg will run circles around the 295 but if you need the extra torque that the 4cycle gives you you'll likely want to run a shorter drive belt on the 2stroke (it'll still be the faster cart by far even with the small amount of speed you'll lose w the short belt)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

if it wasnt for these threads i keep hearing "goodtalk about the 2pg"all the time,,i dont think id even bother with this 85 ezgo i just got..
its so ugly its fugly,but it seems to run real well for looking all original,,except for no gov and no oil injection no more..
all "3 i think" motor mounts are trashed as are the ,springs,shocks,air filter,lower rocker rust on one side,needs body off restore really..prob get a polaris 400 or bigger front suspention?steering has half mile of play also..
sooner or later..
but something about this cart,,and seeing how you guys carts look when lifted and 22-11-10 wheels they look sweet to me,,i like the lines
im must be nuts starting on this thing..i already got some cobalt blue metalic rattle cans as they look nice in that color to me..
hopefully the mounts arent to much mulla..
Old 10-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

mounts are under an hour front to back, less if You have a buddy to help and an angle drill ...

The "no oil injector" thing is probably the best thing that can be done to a 2-3PG, they get old, they fail, and they cost people engines, that's about it. Run premix at 128:1, keep the RPM's under 5k, BBQ the muffler every year or two, and they'll run forever :)

Keep in mind that the "other stuff" that you mentioned needing atention is actually pretty good, considering that 25 years ago, a golf course ran your cart a minimum of 10hrs a day stop and go 7 days a week for 6 years minimum - THEN add in whatever it's been through since and a few maintainance issues here and there are understandable :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
jd hauler
Not Yet Wild

I have an 87 and an 83, the 87 has had a rough life, but it will climb unbelievable hills and just runs and runs, my 83 is a much tighter cart through and through. Lucky I have a few good bone yards full of these locally. I like these older ones better for some reason. I think because they mod easy and have proven themselves over time.
jd hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #10
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
mounts are under an hour front to back, less if You have a buddy to help and an angle drill ... :)
i have about everything but the angle drill,,sure i can borrow one but since i havent looked at it good yet whats the angle drill for?
you guy are so confident in these engines that im gonna just go for it
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO