lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Bigbuck01
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 Club Car - Good for Hunting Cart?

I have an opportunity to buy a '91 Club Car for around $500. It appears (from pics and talk with owner) to be structurally sound with good body parts, tires, top, seats, new charger plug, new forward/rev switch, and new solonoid - but it has a few problems: Very weak batteries, charger doesn't work (owner says he charges two batteries at a time with regular charger), and "some kind of electric problem with the pedal".

My questions are:

1) Is this a good cart to convert to a hunting vehicle - lift kit, big all terrain tires, etc.?
2) Can I put in 8 volt batteries to make a 48v cart, using the existing motor? If so, what else would I need to install along with the batteries?
3) What's the likely issue with the "electric problem with the pedal". Likely solutions?

This cart is about 2 hours away and wanted some feedback on whether it is potentially worth the price (and a good platform to convert into a hunting cart) before I drive over to look it over.

Thanks,
Michael
Bigbuck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 1991 Club Car - Good for Hunting Cart?

its all in what you want to spend, the charger not working could be because of the bad batteries as charger needs to see certain voltage before it comes on.....as for the pedal it could a bunch of things and it also could be related to the battery issue, you can leave the motor in if you convert to 48 volts.............find out if its a controller cart or a resistor cart as the price of upgrading will be different and when you find out talk to scottyb he has a complete upgrade kit.....and by the way welcome....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Bigbuck01
Not Yet Wild

Thanks shadowman - a followup question. How do I determine if its a controller cart or resistor cart?

- Michael
Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Ask for a pic of the battery bay. The resistor coil pack is located to the rear of the batteries. Or you can sometimes just ask if it has a row of 'bed springs' behind the batteries. Solenoid location is a giveaway~ front and center is a resistor cart. under the passenger seat behind the batteries is a controller cart.
They made both controller and resistor carts those years, but yes basically it is a good candidate for a hunting cart build.
And yes, you can run the stock motor on 48v if you upgrade the drive system.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Bigbuck01
Not Yet Wild

Thanks scottyb - so it sounds like either configuration would be fine, just need to know prior to ordering parts. Think I'll take the plunge - gotta start somewhere. Will be back here soon to start the conversion journey. Sounds like fun!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Bigbuck01
Not Yet Wild

Just confirmed with owner that its a resistor cart. So given that, what components (and approx prices) will I need to get it up and running as a 48V system? Here's what I've come away with so far: battery pack (6 8 volt batteries), new solenoid, and charger. Anything else?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 05-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

get a new controller and loose the resistor crap get a charger with its own controller not an OBC unit
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Bigbuck01
Not Yet Wild

gaminde,

Thanks for the suggestion. Given your approach, what parts (and approx prices) am I looking at? Would this conversion be doable by a low-to-medium aptitude mechanical/electrical person like myself?

Alternatively, should I pass on this cart and look for a controller model? Maybe even an existing 48V cart?

Sorry to all if I'm belaboring this subject, but I'm new this.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 05-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

I think some people on the list sell controllers scottyb i think is one.

Im new also but 36 volt cart running on 48 volts with a nice 400 amp controller is what I want, get rid of all the problems. I would think anyone could do it hardest part would be finding a place to mount it. controllers are about $1 per amp rating, really nice ones are up to $2 per amp. go to the curtis controller site they have wiring diagrams showing the least amount of wiring needed. On a resistor cart even a 250 or 350 amp controller is way better that resistors and they can be had for 175 to 400 dollars
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Michael, You can do it if you can install a doorknob and deadbolt.
A little fab work needs to be done on the potentiometer install. The throttle linkage needs to be converted from a straight pull to a lever type. Most guys I sell this kit to are using standard hardware store brackets, nuts, bolts, spring or rod to get her done.... attached is a picture of one way I do it.

So you need a good 36-48 control and matching solenoid kit.
A potentiometer and a full cable set
Some batteries, and a charger.
I supply wiring diagrams and all the parts except the batteries
You can email me for prices if you want at cartsunlimited@hughes.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0812.jpg (136.0 KB, 19 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car