lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Unhappy 2003 G22E dead except for reverse buzzer

Hello all. I'm new here and new to golf carts, especially electric ones. I'm not new to fixing things though, as I fix cars for a living. I just got a used G22E in pieces the other week, and today installed the roof and batteries.

However, it does not move or make solenoid click. The reverse buzzer is the only thing that works, and buzzes with the key switch on or off. I have tested the key switch, tow/run switch, fwd/rev switch, accelerator stop switch, throttle sensor and they are all good according to the service manual.

The solenoid coil resistance reads OL so I'm pretty sure that's bad. BUT, if I jump the solenoid terminals, I still get no drive. Also, when the tow/run switch is on, the 48V + terminal where the solenoid connects (the input terminal) is live. I disconnected the wire between controller and solenoid to verify this.

I ordered a solenoid, because it's bad. Do I need to start shopping for a controller too? The one that came in it is an FSIP 300A for stock motor, and the cart has the stock motor.
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2017, 10:29 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2003 G22E dead except for reverse buzzer

Hmm I had a similar issue recently. Check the small red wire that connects to back of charging receptacle and make sure it’s getting power. Also make sure your getting pack voltage to the key switch, stop switch etc. make sure you have no breaks in the wires. More than likely when you jump the solenoid and it moves, the solenoid is bad. I’m not convinced just yet that your controller is bad until you confirm the wires. You also didn’t mention if the fuse was ok
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes, I did not just do ohm measurements for the switches, I measured if I had voltage coming through them as well. I did some voltage measurements at the controller plug and all passed. I have also not read anything about the controller having 48v on the big + terminal by itself ie without the solenoid being on. Main 3A fuse is good.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:12 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

G22 gets it's source, small red wire, from the solenoid (behind driver's seat). Thought yamahaguy worked at the dealer. If reverse buzzer works, small red wire is good.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:23 AM   #5
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes that’s true. Small red wire is good. Seems like the low current side of the controller is all working and the high current side is not. I bet the solenoid might even come on if it were good. New solenoid coming Tuesday though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2017, 02:07 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yamaha sepex controllers have a F and a R wire to controller, so it doesn't default to forward like Ezgo did, so if reverse buzzer works, but no reverse, it's not the switch. Switch doesn't activate buzzer, controller does.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 AM   #7
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
G22 gets it's source, small red wire, from the solenoid (behind driver's seat). Thought yamahaguy worked at the dealer. If reverse buzzer works, small red wire is good.
Lol...I do I do but I admit I still have have lots to learn...or memorize anyway

While I’m at work at least I manage to get the carts fixed I’m happy for that much.

My dream is to be as knowledgeable and effective as you cgtech
Old 10-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I was told that possibly the controller does a self test of the solenoid upon flipping the run switch on, and also possibly locks out the motor if it fails the test...I don't know but will put in the new solenoid tomorrow and see.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I do know if you flip it too fast yes it can lock it up. I think between tow/run flip you should wait 15 seconds or so. I also believe the controller can reset. I remember a cart came in and they said it was dead, so I flipped from run to tow then back to run and it worked normal again.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks. This may be happening but I'm sure I have another issue as well

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha