lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Drive clutch Disassembly

she was about body temp. lol no where near hot. sounds almost creepy........anyway. feeler guage went right in and they did not seem too tight but I orke the lock nut loose and set them like ruredy.....kiss the valve and back off 1/4 turn. Took it around half way around the block and again it was screaming. I will have to wait til in the AM to go all the way around since I know about where it started losing power. I did not want to wake the neighbors. I changed the oil today again and made sure it had not one drop more than 1.5 qts. I noticed when it was loosing power today that it seemed excessively hot. also noticed oil in the airbox. grrrr. PCV valve was cleaned while I had it apart last week so It is in good working order. When its cold it has massive amounts of power.... like it could climb a wall. When rings are worn, what sort of pressure differential could you expect to see between a cold and hot engine? If I take it to the lake tomorrow, I can get the tester from my cousin and check it hot for compression but I still couldnt imagine that it would drop off to the point that it couldnt make power. What do ya think?
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think the engine guys are right and the valves a mis adjusted. A friend of mine Tried to adjust valves on his 2cyl Robbin. Tried to get both cylinders tdc at one time and it ran like that = hot. Jus wanted to ask how you are determining TDC for the adjustment and where is the feeler gauge? 1/4 turn is just a ball park ... hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:16 AM   #13
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think the engine guys are right and the valves a mis adjusted. A friend of mine Tried to adjust valves on his 2cyl Robbin. Tried to get both cylinders tdc at one time and it ran like that = hot. Jus wanted to ask how you are determining TDC for the adjustment and where is the feeler gauge? 1/4 turn is just a ball park ... hope this helps
By the service guide, it states that the cam lobe should point relatively down and away from the rocker. So you rotate the clutch to get the one you are adjusting into that position. The feeler slips between the rocker and the cam according to the book. I think that the 1/4 turn trick gets it a little closer to .005 or so. The carb works great as well as the clutch!! Thanks a bunch.

I still would like to know if anyone knows how much differential you potentially could see in the compression with worn rings from cold to hot. As soon as I can get my hands on a tester I will check that out. I suppose it is possible that I could have a burnt valve. I went back and searched the board for "valves tight" and read some of those posts. I remember specifically something about tight valves and good cold poor hot performance which is exactly what I saw earlier. I will give it a good run around the block in the AM to see if loosening them up a bit helped. Keep bringin the input though, if I keep pinging away at it I am bound to figure it out!!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A burnt valve would be a bad compression chamber seal all the time.... since your's is heat related? Only thing changing with heat is tolerances? I dunno? Glad the carb and clutch helped! Good Luck.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

jon said maybe a cracked piston or cylider.......not sure. would either change with engine temp? when I get back home, Im going to run it to op temp and see what happens with the valves a little looser. will post the results.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Ran it up to temp and the upper 2/3 of the power band seem ok but it has a hard time building power right after it starts to run. It is not smoking like it was before so I think the valves are pretty close. I can hear a chirping type noise....like a bird when it first starts and as it is stopping.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #17
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

are we sure the muffler is not pluged, is the muffler stock?
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #18
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

no i am not. would it become more restrictive as it heats up? it could cause excessive crankcase pressure i suppose.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

this would not the first 4 cycle muffler to do this, if your hot compression is good i would check it out. it would make it over heat also.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

today after loosening the valves a bit, it did not seem to be overheating like before. with most of the "felt" heat coming from the muffler. When you first press the pedal, it fires then pauses for a moment before starting to fire. as it fires it takes it a moment to begin to increase RPMs. As the RPMS increase it smooths out and seems to be building power as it should. Not a strong as when it is cold but running fine. I couldnt get my hands on the guage today.so that will have to wait
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO