lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
mower-moley
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Stinky Gas EZGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
Thought I'd start a thread to assist those with an EZGO Gas that "SMELLS" when running...

We recently recieved a truckload of 2006 EZGO TXT Gas. Some of these carts put out a terrible odor when you drove them. None of them were burning oil, the compression was great - everything was normal, except for the "smell".

We first fully serviced every cart, adjusted the valves, flushed out all the old fuel (they had been sitting for a few months) and that helped only a few carts. We removed one of the mufflers and I could notice some "carbon" buildup in the exhaust - it made me start thinking what would cause this carbon build up?

Since the new MCI motors have a "guard" over anything important, I first cut off the guard over the carb (2 rivets and a removable plate). Everything looked fine - AT FIRST...

The more I looked at the carb (OK, I'm very anal about things being right), I noticed the the choke seemed to be not fully opening. This was right! In nearly all the carts, the choke cable was about 1/8" too tight. These carts had been running for two years with partial choke, causing the carbon build up.

Before I went out and started slapping 'HIGH 5's", we installed a new MCI muffler and the smell went away immediately. With much experimentation, we found that plugging the smaller exhaust tube, filling the muffler with Muratic Acid, let it sit for a few hours and then flush out, that this process fully cleaned the muffler.

MCI mufflers are around $230.00 / each, so I wanted to come up with a decent economical solution to report. I considered the "Muffler BBQ" method, but in having a Salt Water Swimming Pool at home, I know this Muratic Acid cleans everything! DO NOT CONFUSE MURATIC ACID WITH SULPHURIC ACID!

We tried numerous things - this whole process has taken me a few weeks on "on and off" head scratching and experimenting.

I hope that this can help someone in the future...
i heat the exhausts up to break up the carbon inside as its a cheaper first option, then when you can pick it up with gloves flush water through it or water with a detergent in it. Normally does the job.
mower-moley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

2 gallons of Muratic Acid from Home Depot was $10.00. If you're careful with the 'pour in', you will not have to repaint the muffler when done. I considered the rose bud torch, but I wanted to make sure I got all the internals cleaned, too. We left one sitting all night, just to see if any damage would be done - it's the cleanest one of all. 2 gallons treated 3 mufflers...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
jasonflamm
Not Yet Wild

Talking Re: Stinky Gas EZGO

I had the same issue with my cart and did all of the things you mentioned mike. The only one i have not attempted is exhaust (replacement....etc), but with everything else mentioned my cart runs alot better.
jasonflamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonflamm View Post
I had the same issue with my cart and did all of the things you mentioned mike. The only one i have not attempted is exhaust (replacement....etc), but with everything else mentioned my cart runs alot better.
Did the smell go away? How long did you leave the M Acid inside it?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
jasonflamm
Not Yet Wild

I have not tried the M Acid yet , but i am going to go and get it at Lowes on my way home from work.
I think im going to leave it in there for the entire week and drain with a diluted cleaner after.
jasonflamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO