lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Crankcase gasket leaks. Any advice on the replacement?

Just noticed that the crankcase gasket on my newly purchased 1999 Gas Club Car DS with the FE 290 engine is leaking. When it warms up I can see oil blowing out of the upper crankcase gasket area.

Any advice on removal and replacement? I have read some of the threads on clutch removal and will make sure that I have the proper removal tool. Not going to mess around with that issue.

Should I use just a plain replacement gasket, or go with some kind of permatex sealant along with the gasket?

I've read a lot of threads on this forum about this gasket failing. What is the real cause of this? Excessive crankcase pressure? Poor design?

Your thoughts!
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Crankcase gasket leaks. Any advice on the replacement?

I spoke with a Club Car Dealer withing 2 hours of me. He was very helpful about a few things that must be done to remove the crankcase. Evidently the crankcase will not come off without removing some of the engine mounts on the right side, loosening the engine to transaxle mounts, and tipping the motor up on the right side in order to get the clutch off and get the crankcase up over the belly pan.

Anyone ever done this?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
corkscrew
Gone Wild

If it was me I would take the bolts out of leaf springs, brake lines, a few wires and linkage and roll the whole thing out the rear. If spring bolts brake loose and come out your looking at maybe 30 min easy. Then everything is out where you can work on it easily. Just my 2 cents
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkscrew View Post
If it was me I would take the bolts out of leaf springs, brake lines, a few wires and linkage and roll the whole thing out the rear. If spring bolts brake loose and come out your looking at maybe 30 min easy. Then everything is out where you can work on it easily. Just my 2 cents
corkscrew, thanks for the idea. I hadn't thought about doing it that way. Has anyone else ever tried this? I would assume that you support the cart frame on jackstands and try to get the wheels just touching the ground, correct?

I don't really want to do the job but I may have no choice. Not sure if I want to try it this way or just remove the body, loosen some bolts, and tip the engine.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
corkscrew
Gone Wild

I just put a clone in my cc carryall. For me it was easy with all the advice from here. Do just like your thinking, I had a jack under axle,trans,engine. Already had the cart on jackstands. Try to get the cart as high as you can for everything to clear out the back. I did all of this and still needed my cart a few inches higher after I unbolted springs and such. Was upset with myself for not getting it high enough, Grabbed the 2 rear frame rails and pick-up and walked forward while stepping over everything. Was not heavy at all. Funny thing, I done almost same thing that weekend to was under it real good. haha Turn front wheels hard, put pressure washer wand in bed, pick up back of cart and stand it straight up on front wheels and bumper. Hold steady with one hand and pressure wash like crazy with the other.
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkscrew View Post
I just put a clone in my cc carryall. For me it was easy with all the advice from here. Do just like your thinking, I had a jack under axle,trans,engine. Already had the cart on jackstands. Try to get the cart as high as you can for everything to clear out the back. I did all of this and still needed my cart a few inches higher after I unbolted springs and such. Was upset with myself for not getting it high enough, Grabbed the 2 rear frame rails and pick-up and walked forward while stepping over everything. Was not heavy at all. Funny thing, I done almost same thing that weekend to was under it real good. haha Turn front wheels hard, put pressure washer wand in bed, pick up back of cart and stand it straight up on front wheels and bumper. Hold steady with one hand and pressure wash like crazy with the other.
Thanks, now it makes more sense. I'm going to think about this for a little bit, but I like your idea. I have removed the spring bolts and spacers before on a different cart so I know what a PITA they can be. Being able to slide the entire engine and transaxle assembly out would be much easier to inspect and work on.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

I worked out a deal with the seller. I paid for a new crankcase gasket, a new crankcase seal, and a new s/g belt. He had the clutch remover tool and agreed to install everything. Cart runs good now, no leaking at the crankcase area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131022_181900.jpg (127.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car