lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #21
jawsfree
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: best battery brands

Oh Boy I guess I got everyone really worked up here. I did not think that this question would get everyone so riled up.

I know from my research on automotive batteries that there are differences on component quality. I have purchased duracell batteries from Batteries Plus for my cars in the past but I have found that when I purchase my car battery from Ford that they tend to last much longer. I believe they use better components to achieve longer life for the OEM batteries. I wish there were some independent source that can tell us the difference on quality components. I think Consumer Reports does some battery testing but I am not sure if they do those test on Golf cart batteries.
jawsfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #22
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would trust BGW reports [decades of testing!] over Consumer Reports [week of testing?] anytime!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #23
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm really not sure, don't hesitate to corect me, but i think that crown was the batteries club car used to put as “oem”... maybe they still do like i say i'm really not sure.....
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #24
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I prefer Trojan batteries over anything else on the market. Crown batteries would be a close 2nd place, a VERY close 2nd place. I think the only reason I rank the Trojans higher than the Crowns is because they've been proven to me for a longer period of time, but the Crowns seem to be just as good as the Trojans to me. US batteries are also good batteries. Not too fond of anything else.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:45 AM   #25
HarryT
Gone Wild

Club Car has been using PD (Power Drive) batteries since 2008 that I know of, probably much longer. They start to get weak at the 3 year mark on our course which has really long hills and is very hard on batterys. On our 2012 carts I replaced about 12 batterys. When the first battery went bad, I replaced the whole set in that cart. With the five that were still in pretty good shape I would use them to replace the next batteries in other carts as they went bad. When all were used I would replace all the batterys in another cart and repeat the process. That took us through the fourth year until we replaced the carts. We are in the third year with our new carts and they are starting to use more water but are still holding up pretty well. Most of the batterys will probably make it through 4 years. Our course is in the foothills of the Blueridge mountains so we get some cold weather but are open all year so the cold does not help the situation.
On all the private carts I work on, I use Trojans.
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:10 AM   #26
scrannel
Gone Wild

I'll get back to you all in three years and see if my Duracells lasted as long as my Trojans (well, maybe sooner),
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #27
JR_ECE
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
I'll get back to you all in three years and see if my Duracells lasted as long as my Trojans (well, maybe sooner),
Are you saying a set of Trojan batteries only lasted 3 years for you?
JR_ECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #28
scrannel
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_ECE View Post
Are you saying a set of Trojan batteries only lasted 3 years for you?
They lasted 8. I'm going on 5 with the Duracells... so 3 more to go for the test to conclude!
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #29
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Club Car has been using PD (Power Drive) batteries since 2008 that I know of, probably much longer. They start to get weak at the 3 year mark on our course which has really long hills and is very hard on batterys. On our 2012 carts I replaced about 12 batterys. When the first battery went bad, I replaced the whole set in that cart. With the five that were still in pretty good shape I would use them to replace the next batteries in other carts as they went bad. When all were used I would replace all the batterys in another cart and repeat the process. That took us through the fourth year until we replaced the carts. We are in the third year with our new carts and they are starting to use more water but are still holding up pretty well. Most of the batterys will probably make it through 4 years. Our course is in the foothills of the Blueridge mountains so we get some cold weather but are open all year so the cold does not help the situation.
On all the private carts I work on, I use Trojans.
Harry
Sounds about right. Note that the "PowerDrive" batteries haven't always been made by the same manufacturer. Club Car buys these batteries and relabels them. They used Crown for a while, and later switched to Johnson Controls (JCI). The Crown Batteries were excellent batteries but they had an issue with the speed-caps leaking and getting acid everywhere. This was eventually corrected, but it was too late. They switched vendors to JCI and are still using them to this day. They're a decent battery, but they don't last like a Trojan. I agree with you 100%. They're great batteries to use on a build to sell, but for my own cart I'd go with Trojan. Not to mention around here the Trojans are cheaper than the JCIs from Club Car because they have to come from a dealer. Lots of batteries are made by JCI. Look for the small circular "made in Mexico" sticker on them. It's a dead giveaway that it's a JCI battery.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #30
JR_ECE
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
They lasted 8. I'm going on 5 with the Duracells... so 3 more to go for the test to conclude!
Got it, thanks
JR_ECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car