lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2018, 01:40 AM   #11
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Electrical questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospider01 View Post
I purchased a reducer, should be here Wednesday. Any wiring suggestions? Should I use a fuse block?

That blue wire is the positive end of the lights ya think? So the 12v lights aren't even getting a full 12v as one battery is only 8v, am I correct?
1) The 48-12v 30amp reducer should have an in-line fuse on the 48 volt POSITIVE wire into the reducer. Each 12 volt circuit you run off of the reducer output should be fused with a fuse appropriate to the circuit load. This can be done with a fuse panel or in-line fuses. Once you get more than a few 12 volt circuits, a fuse panel is often more convenient.

2) The BLUE wire is coming off of POSITIVE post of the second battery of your battery pack (or pack for short). The NEGATIVE that those devices would most likely be coming off of is the first battery of your pack ... thus giving you 2 x 8v = 16 volts. In some carts it can be common to run the 12 volt accessories off of 16 volts (without burning them up), but it will unbalance your pack if your use those 12v accessories a lot. Thus it is a better practice to use a 48 v to 12 v reducer to spread the load over the entire pack.

3) Since you are new to the cart world, keep in mind that a golf cart frame should NEVER be grounded for safety reasons (due to the higher voltages involved on carts). A ground wire has to be run to each electrical device. Stay SAFE !!
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2018, 06:28 AM   #12
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post

2) The BLUE wire is coming off of POSITIVE post of the second battery of your battery pack (or pack for short). The NEGATIVE that those devices would most likely be coming off of is the first battery of your pack ... thus giving you 2 x 8v = 16 volts. In some carts it can be common to run the 12 volt accessories off of 16 volts (without burning them up), but it will unbalance your pack if your use those 12v accessories a lot. Thus it is a better practice to use a 48 v to 12 v reducer to spread the load over the entire pack.

that makes sense. I wonder where the negative of the lights is since I don't see it on the pack?
Does this explain why the lights dim when I accelerate?

3) Since you are new to the cart world, keep in mind that a golf cart frame should NEVER be grounded for safety reasons (due to the higher voltages involved on carts). A ground wire has to be run to each electrical device. Stay SAFE !! :thumbup

Is that why people talk about using a neg bus bar? The fuse panel or block I was looking at has a neg bank. Good idea then? And that's wired back to the negative side of the pack, correct?
:
Thank you for your time and knowledge!
bospider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:30 AM   #13
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Also, where are people mounting their fuse block and reducer? The only place I see where one would fit under the seat are these 2 spots and that looks like a royal pain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180108-052133.jpg (82.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #14
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospider01 View Post
Also, where are people mounting their fuse block and reducer? The only place I see where one would fit under the seat are these 2 spots and that looks like a royal pain.
Many people with a Precedent mount the voltage reducer at the front (behind the dampers you'll find a flat steel plate) - see the diagram. The photo shows how I have mounted mine there. As far as the fuse block, it makes sense to mount that between the reducer and the accessories so that the wiring is no longer than it needs to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Precedent_voltage_reducer_location.jpg (90.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Converter in position medium.jpg (82.8 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As Yawood mentioned, the location for the voltage converter on a Precedent is up front, here is another picture:

The negative for the converter comes from the black wire with a yellow bullet connector that is visible on your picture between the batteries and the Controller panel:

The "Plug and play" Precedent voltage converter harness adapter connects to the 12-pin connector on the passenger side where the "bucket harness" comes into the dash.

That small "pigtail" gray wire with bullet connector is the +48v switched power from the Key switch.

You just disconnect the 12-pin connector and plug the "T" style harness adapter between the 2 connectors.

You also have to move the blue wire from battery #5 (+16v) back to pack positive +48v (battery #1).

The harness adapter sends the +48v power from the bucket harness to the converter and the +12v from the converter into the dash harness.

This wiring diagram for your cart shows where the Voltage Converter harness connects to the main harness (bottom right):

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Just in case you missed the part...FACTORY voltage reducer...this is the answer to ‘plug and play’.😎
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #17
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
As Yawood mentioned, the location for the voltage converter on a Precedent is up front, here is another picture:

The negative for the converter comes from the black wire with a yellow bullet connector that is visible on your picture between the batteries and the Controller panel:

I do see it comes off the controllDr but what is currently connected to it? I saw that yellow connector last night and was wondering.

The "Plug and play" Precedent voltage converter harness adapter connects to the 12-pin connector on the passenger side where the "bucket harness" comes into the dash.

are you talking about this adapter? If I'm plugging into this, what am I unplugging? This is where I started getting lost in your response.

Screenshot_20180108-101143.jpg

That small "pigtail" gray wire with bullet connector is the +48v switched power from the Key switch.

You just disconnect the 12-pin connector and plug the "T" style harness adapter between the 2 connectors.

You also have to move the blue wire from battery #5 (+16v) back to pack positive +48v (battery #1).

are you talking about disconnecting the spade from it's current location (battery 5) to the lone spade that's on battery 1? Is that why that's there?
I was wondering why that random wire was hanging there. What does this move back accomplish?

The harness adapter sends the +48v power from the bucket harness to the converter and the +12v from the converter into the dash harness.

This wiring diagram for your cart shows where the Voltage Converter harness connects to the main harness (bottom right):

lastly, if I'm wanting to use a fuse block and a 6 gang switch board, where does this get introduced?
I sure could use a schematic for dummies!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #18
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
Just in case you missed the part...FACTORY voltage reducer...this is the answer to ‘plug and play’.😎
wait, what? I missed this entirely.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:13 PM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Converter that You buy does not need to be "Factory", but you do need a harness adapter to connect to the "Factory" harness.

It looks similar to the attached picture, see the 2 x 12-pin connectors?

it plugs where I described in the picture you posted of your dash harness, there is only 1 12-pin connection there and it has a small gray wire with a bullet connector.

Your existing wire harness negative is connected to that black wire with yellow bullet connector in the battery compartment.

You cannot move the Blue wire to pack positive +48v until after you have all of the harness changed up front and the new voltage reducer installed or you will fry your existing +12v system by applying +48v to it.

Contact the place you purchased your voltage reducer and ask for the Precedent specific voltage reducer adapter.

If they don't have one or even know what you are talking about, return the converter and purchase one from a site sponsor that understands Club Cars.

The "plug and play" harness is the safest way for someone that does not have a good understand of electrical systems to connect a voltage reducer to a Precedent.

Your fuse block would go on the +12v output of the Voltage converter.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg precedent_voltage_reducer_harness.jpg (7.1 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #20
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

When not in use, how much power "leaks" from the 48v to the 12v reducer? Is it worth or have people installed a switch between the 2?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car