lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
jason78
Not Yet Wild

Default 2015 Prescident Speed Code 4 is a Dud

As mentioned on several other threads, I have just purchased a 2015 Prescident. At full charge, I can get it up to about 15 or so via GPS on a flat surface. Figured it was set to the normal Speed Code 3. Took it to the CC Dealer today to have SC4 added just to find out it already has speed code 4 and he ran through everything with the tool and could not find any other issues. He didn't really have any thoughts as to why it would not get closer to 20. Going down a hill I can easily get it to 20 but still tops out at 15 on flat surface. Saw 16 a couple times after a sustained 15. Running stock 18x18.50 tires

Is there something I'm missing here? I really don't have a desire to go over 20 but was really wanting to at least get it there. Based on other threads it sound likes I'm not the first to see this happen but it also sounds like plenty of people are getting every bit of 20 with SC4. What could I be missing? Thanks!
jason78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2015 Prescident Speed Code 4 is a Dud

Pack voltage.....

SP4 is 19.x mph. Barring any unforeseen issue, the only reason you will not achieve it is if the pack cannot get you there or your controller is faulty (weak).

Hook your DVM up to the pack and check the VDC's before you pull off and then document them at full speed while you are at the sustained 15mph.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
jason78
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Pack voltage.....

SP4 is 19.x mph. Barring any unforeseen issue, the only reason you will not achieve it is if the pack cannot get you there or your controller is faulty (weak).

Hook your DVM up to the pack and check the VDC's before you pull off and then document them at full speed while you are at the sustained 15mph.
Thank you for the reply! What is the best connection point for the pack? Are there terminals I can clamp on to?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

The main pack Positive (Red cable going to solenoid) and main pack Negative (Black cable going to the back of the cart). Hook your digital volt meter to these two places and lay it on your seat when doing the driving test.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I see this a lot. That's why I no longer promote the speed code for Excel carts. I've programmed far too many and had too many customers who weren't pleased with the results. Speed setting 4 will "allow" for 19.6 MPH, but does absolutely nothing to increase the power of the car to make it achieve that speed. It's up to the rest of your components in your powertrain to push the cart to that speed. Often, Excel cars are just too sluggish to do it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
hunter99
Gone Wild

Club Car

I added speed code 4 when I bought my cart last August. It added a small amount of speed but not 19mph. When I added the 23" tires that changed that. I now read it fine. That being said, just like Dave said, it does nothing to increase power. All it did for me was allow the rotational mass of the tires get up to a higher speed. I have full plans to upgrade my controller and motor soon but just stretching the budget out.
hunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:28 PM   #7
jason78
Not Yet Wild

Well its a little disappointing to hear that but not the end of the world. I thought I was doing good getting a newer Excel cart with the ERIC charger. Maybe an older cart would have been a little faster stock.

I guess I'll just make due with it for now as is. Seems to do ok. Maybe at some point I can get a new motor or new controller.

What is the largest tires you can put on without doing a lift? Getting ready to probably buy a rear seat kit this week and still waiting to see how the batteries do before I put too much more money out on this cart.

I will say the thing is like brand new. Spent 1 year at Shinnecock Hills and the last 2 years in the garage of a country club resident. Used very little. Probably was not great for the batteries, time will tell.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:17 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And when the time comes for you to replace the pack, you may see a better result.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #9
hunter99
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason78 View Post
Well its a little disappointing to hear that but not the end of the world. I thought I was doing good getting a newer Excel cart with the ERIC charger. Maybe an older cart would have been a little faster stock.

I guess I'll just make due with it for now as is. Seems to do ok. Maybe at some point I can get a new motor or new controller.

What is the largest tires you can put on without doing a lift? Getting ready to probably buy a rear seat kit this week and still waiting to see how the batteries do before I put too much more money out on this cart.

I will say the thing is like brand new. Spent 1 year at Shinnecock Hills and the last 2 years in the garage of a country club resident. Used very little. Probably was not great for the batteries, time will tell.

Thanks for all the input.
Just be aware that the older cart may well have not been any faster. Club Car limits the speed on a factory upgrade to 19mph. That is so it does not fall into the LEV vehicle territory. They you are looking at lights, horn, turn signals, seat belts, etc.

Also remember the stock motor on these is around 3 to 3.5hp. An aftermarket motor can be up to 14hp. The newer cart is not bad. I have a 2014 with the same features. You get a high frequency charger and no longer have a OBC. It's all in the charger. The high frequency charger is also great as it will extend the long term life of your pack through more efficient charging.
hunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:36 AM   #10
scmoose
Gone Wild

I know it's a crap shoot but a buddy of mine added the magnet to his Excell cart, JE seqrial number, and it increased his speed. I know the magnets aren't supposed to work on Excell carts but it did on his.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
scmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car