lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
dwood927
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 22” Tires tear up stock motor?

2002 Club Car DS IQ

Recently purchased first cart few days ago. First one for me. Looking forward to having an ongoing project to work on.

When I bought the cart it had 22 inch tires on it and no upgrades to anything else in it. Got stock tires on it now and feel like those big tires wore the motor out. Is it time for me to do the whole deal: motor, controller, solenoid and wiring swap? It runs on flat ground but literally putts a few mph up hills. Batteries are few months old and have checked them. I’m thinking I need to go geared towards higher torque than speed, as hills will be my challenge. Not interested in going crazy fast. For the pool and neighborhood with kids.

Please let me know what you think.
dwood927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default re: 22” Tires tear up stock motor?

22” tires will take a lot of torque from the stock motor. You will need a controller (I’d recommend at least 400 Amp) and a better motor (D&D or Admiral is what I typically use). Also 2 AWG cables throughout and a heavy duty solenoid.

Get with Scotty at cartsunlimited.net. He won’t lead you wrong.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
dwood927
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for contact info. Will check out. What is real difference in 2 AWG and 4 AWG? Seen both talked about and being used.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

2 AWG is heavier gauge and will allow even more current. 4 AWG is plenty for most applications, but it will heat up more than 2 AWG.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The IQ carts have an MCOR throttle control and the pedal linkage wears and makes it so the MCOR doesn't turn all the way so the controller thinks you're only giving like 80% throttle.
I put a couple zip ties on the MCOR rod where it hits the pedal to tighten it up so the MCOR actually sends a full signal. Makes a night and day difference going up hills if that's the problem.

After a while the Zip ties seem to wear out. My next attempt at fixing the sloppy MCOR linkage is going to be to drill a hole and either pin or bolt the rod directly to the pedal to see how long that works.

Also possible the brushes in the motor are worn out just from age and use. I have one same year apart right now because or worn out brushes.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:28 AM   #6
dwood927
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will certainly give the zip tie a shot. I appreciate the suggestion.

On another note, if I do have to do a complete upgrade here soon to motor, etc - when I bought the car it had cheap knockoff BruteForce batteries. They are brand new, made in May, and work fine. If I upgrade even with new cheap batteries, should I upgrade to better batteries at the same time as motor? Or just run these batteries a year or two and then swap?
Old 08-11-2018, 07:23 AM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’ve heard good things about Bruteforce batteries. I’d definitely use them and try to get some years out of them.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
dwood927
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 22” Tires tear up stock motor?

Zip tie seemed to add some improvement. Thanks for the tip. Motor still needs help! Will keep the batteries too and hopefully get a good life out of them.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Check the water level in the batteries. Try running them for a couple weeks and see if the performance improves any. Sometimes new batteries need 10-20 charge cycles before they come to their best potential.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Check the water level in the batteries. Try running them for a couple weeks and see if the performance improves any. Sometimes new batteries need 10-20 charge cycles before they come to their best potential.
everytime new batteries need around 100 charge cycles before they come to their best potential.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car