lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2018, 05:34 AM   #11
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 97 club car ds obc bypass for dpi charger

Yes, they were the predecessors to the IQ carts. You had Regen 1 (complete junk and CC quickly moved past it - Sorry) and then came the next generation Regen 2 (better, but still a dinosaur) and finally in the full fledged IQ which led the fleet for years and still does in its next generation I2/Excel form. These are all Sepex (Separately Excited) motors as compared to the Series which were series wound motor

The biggest problem with Regen 1 is the "T" type controller is not supported or remanufactured by anyone as it was so problematic and only made for 2 years in the DS line-up. Regen 2's are still out there and Alltrax has made a conversion for them so when the controller fails they can update to the new XCT line.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2018, 05:56 AM   #12
Bluetick
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

After looking at wiring before heading to work I see the wire Sergio is talking about someone has also added a 10ga wire from the back of charge port that goes to N post on the controller so do I leave this and then disconnect no.19 in wiring digram and connect that to the N on controller ? Thanks
Bluetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #13
Bluetick
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I looked at cart this morning I see wire stergio is talking about but someone has added a ground wire that runs from back of charger port to the N on the controller do I leave this and disconnect the #19 wire and attach that to the N lug on the controller previous owner passed away so can't ask what was done and someone stole all the batteries and charger when they did just cut all the cables to get batterys out sorry to be difficult just don't want to fry new batteries or charger or anything for that matter
Old 08-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
Bluetick
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Not good to hear the news on the controller if it fails what are my options I'm to vested to quit on this cart
Old 08-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The negative 10ga wire from the back of the cart charger receptacle to the Controller N post is needed to by-pass the OBC "current control" of the charging cycle.

The #19 yellow wire from the Controller directly to the N post is needed to by-pass the OBC "Controller Lockout".

You need both of those wires in place to use a smart charger.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #16
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
Not good to hear the news on the controller if it fails what are my options I'm to vested to quit on this cart
Don't worry about that, there are plenty of aftermarket controllers that will work. Have several site sponsors here that can get you all the parts you need if the controller does fail. The ones Nole mentioned above are more direct "drop-in" style controllers designed to work with the other factory parts on the cart.
You may need to upgrade solenoids, or change out some other parts to make a new controller work properly, but that sets you up better in the end by replacing those 21 year old stock parts anyway. Besides, that's part of the fun of owning a golf cart!

Kinda sounds like they already bypassed the OBC. Black wire from the charge port would normally go straight to the OBC. Moving it to the N on the controller is the same as connecting to the battery pack negative post.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #17
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

The aftermarket Regen-1 controllers are a bit pricey, and don't improve any aspect of that cart (other than working again). I've got a different plan for mine, if/when my controller goes. Remarkably I've had endless reliable rounds of golf all these many years with my old Regen-1 (high performance is not really necessary for golf, so I never switched). But when it does fail; I plan to re-wire with a new wiring harness (IQ), buy/install a tow/run switch kit, an XCT300 controller, and likely an MCOR conversion kit to change from current Pot Box. Luckily, a "kit" to make that change can be assembled by one of our site sponsors (David at Revolution - https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/). You will have to email or call him and be specific that you are rewiring a Regen-1. It is a mix of OEM and after market parts to make the change, all of which he carries. Performance will improve a lot with all these changes, but my main goal would be to keep the cart with a modern drive system.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #18
Bluetick
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all the help guys !! I just want something to cruise around the farm was starting to question the build I got the cart for a 100 bucks and local golf cart Center charged me 40 bucks to hook up to there carts and test motor and rear all checked out but the obc and was told bypass was easy bit they don't due it because of liability so I bought batteries and charger and pile of other stuff lift wheels tires ect thinking be much cheaper than a utv and more stealthy during hunting season thanks again to everyone
Old 08-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #19
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Man I am gone most of the day and we are still here.... Bypass that OBC and let the DPI rip.....

And yes, IQ harness upgrade is what most everyone does. 16 pin connector, Run/Tow switch, MCOR, etc. You use to have to do that with a Regen 2, but now Alltrax has made an XCT that is a direct replacement.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:56 AM   #20
Lilb1966
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I am in the same boat. Got a 97 Regen 1 and it still runs. I just lifted and put new tires on mine too. I guess I'll be switching before long. Way down on power to pull itself.

Last edited by Lilb1966; 09-22-2021 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Further explanation
Lilb1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car