lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Purified vs. Distilled Water

Do you guys think there is a difference ?

I was gonna top off my batteries and went to get my gallon of Distilled water out of the pantry and it was gone, my wife needed the jug to mix some Miracle Grow in for her plants on the deck ????

I asked her to pick me up another jug and she brought home Purified. With what Batteries cost, I do not want to do anything to help shorten the life of mine.

Thanks.
hitmanharleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
MuayThai41
Gone Wild

Default Re: Purified vs. Distilled Water

If i were you i'd stick with the distilled water, the "purified" water may only have been passed through a filter of some kind and can still have minerals that can build up over time. Distilled water is boiled and the vapor (the rising vapor can't carry the heavier minerals) is gathered then cooled back into a liquid.

We have guys at our work that pull our carts up to the hose to fill the batts. I don't know how many times it has happened, but every time i see it i stop them before the damage gets done.

Purified water would be better than tap, but for the 99 cents it usually costs for a bottle, i'd stick with the distilled!

That's why they recommend distilled in any kind of machinery, and in humidors.
MuayThai41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Many here have commented that they use water from a hose without issue. It appears that if you can drink it, it will probably be fine!
I keep distilled on-hand for other purposes, so I use what I've got..
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's not true..... the human body and the wet lead/acid battery are two entirely different systems
well the minerals in it, specially alkaline ones like lime can react with the acid in the car battery , and cause problems, because minerals dissolved in the water can cause a deposit to form on the plates causing a reduction in efficiency.
Using tap water to refill batteries can produce calcium sulphate that also will coat the plates and fill the pores. Recharging a sulphate battery is like trying to wash your hands with gloves on. When the active material in the plates can no longer sustain a discharge current, the battery “dies”.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
MuayThai41
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That's not true..... the human body and the wet lead/acid battery are two entirely different systems
well the minerals in it, specially alkaline ones like lime can react with the acid in the car battery , and cause problems, because minerals dissolved in the water can cause a deposit to form on the plates causing a reduction in efficiency.
Using tap water to refill batteries can produce calcium sulphate that also will coat the plates and fill the pores. Recharging a sulphate battery is like trying to wash your hands with gloves on. When the active material in the plates can no longer sustain a discharge current, the battery “dies”.
Like scotty said, USE DISTILLED!!!!!! Batteries cost $300.00 each, distilled water costs 99 cents a gallon...is it worth the 97 cents you would save by using tap???

I see people filling their radiator from the hose at the gas station all the time... just not smart.

Stick with distilled It's part of a CORRECT preventative maintenance program. I have a customer that likes to say "you don't have to brush all your teeth, just the ones you want to keep!" He's in charge of a large heavy equipment fleet, if he saw an operator filling a radiator with hose water, he would fire them on site, so would I!
MuayThai41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

"Purified" water is just passed through filters to "purify the water" the minerals that can lead to battery issues are still there as well as most "purifying" chemicals.

Distilled water all of the minerals that can cause issues are removed as well as the majority of the chemicals if not all of the chemicals. Distilled water has no nutritional value because there is no minerals present the body needs.

In short, USE DISTILLED WATER ONLY!
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Many here have commented that they use water from a hose without issue. It appears that if you can drink it, it will probably be fine!
I keep distilled on-hand for other purposes, so I use what I've got..
..a
They are the ones who will buy more batteries over their lifetime too. It's not the short term effects, it LONG TERM. You haven't been here long enough to see them come back and say their batts only lasted a few years. I filled a set with water one time and EACH CELL THE ELECTROLYTE TURNED BROWN. That water was from the tap. That was the last time I used tap water.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Purified vs. Distilled Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
They are the ones who will buy more batteries over their lifetime too. It's not the short term effects, it LONG TERM. You haven't been here long enough to see them come back and say their batts only lasted a few years. I filled a set with water one time and EACH CELL THE ELECTROLYTE TURNED BROWN. That water was from the tap. That was the last time I used tap water.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

With nearly ALL discussions, on any forum platform, you'll occasionally hear, "I've been doing it that way for years without a problem". Unfortunately that doesn't mean there really isn't a problem. It just means they haven't seen it yet, didn't recognize it yet or it's on it's way so watch out!

(Is that me in that mirror over there?)
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #10
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Corrected I stand! :)
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts