lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
tonic405
Not Yet Wild

Default solenoid doesn't click switches seem good

Hi, I have a 1991 Yamaha G9. Recently it just quit running. At first, you could hear the solenoid clicking but the starter generator wouldn't kick off. Shortly thereafter, though, the solenoid wasn't making any noise. I checked it for continuity and it had it. I checked the key switch and the micro switch for continuity as well as checked how the power got to them using a multitester and after watching several videos and reading on the forum. I replaced the solenoid and rebuilt the starter generator, but I still got nothing. The "buzz" for when you put it in reverse also is no longer working. It still looks like power is getting to the solenoid, but the starter generator still isn't going. I checked the battery and it is fully charged and I checked all fuses. The voltage does drop at the key switch, but when I bypassed it, it still didn't start. I also bypassed the micro switch just to make sure that even though it showed continuity that that wasn't the problem. At one point, I used a jumper wire between the two big poles on the solenoid and got the starter generator to fire off, but now nothing. I don't know where else to look. Could the new solenoid be bad even though it has continuity?
tonic405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: solenoid doesn't click switches seem good

Start by double checking that the 10 amp fuse in the red line supplying +12 volts to the system is good. I know you said fuses were good, but check again just to be sure.

If that checks ok, (and I think it will), the problem could be that you have a broken wire or corroded connector somewhere in the ground return line. Start at the battery negative (-) and make sure the black wire is connected to it. Follow this wire. I think there is a connector somewhere fairly close to the battery in this line. If you find it, unplug it to check that it is not corroded. You then need to follow all the black wire connections to make sure they are all sound. Refer to the wiring for help. (I'm assuming you do have a wiring for your cart). Let me know if you don't, I can help you get it. - Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
tonic405
Not Yet Wild

I believe I chased all the wires, checked for continuity and checked connectors. It appears that the ground return wires aren't the problem. Could it be the ignitor? I checked continuity in it and got it for a second, but then couldn't get it again.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

(READ NEXT POST FIRST BEFORE THIS ONE) Ok, lets start at the beginning. I reread your initial post and from that I think you are saying that when you turn on the key and depress the accelerator nothing happens. As in, the engine doesn't turn over. Because of that, you replaced the solenoid and rebuilt the starter generator. In addition to that, the reverse buzzer no longer buzzes. You also said the starter runs when you jumper the heavy solenoid terminals together. So, is that still the scenario you have ??? The ignitor has nothing to do with the starting circuit so we should leave that alone for now.

If that is still where you are, I would like you to attach a jumper wire between the battery plus (+) and the hot terminal (small wire) of the solenoid. (disconnect the existing solenoid hot wire before you do this). Also, be aware that the engine could/may crank over when you do this, so put the cart in neutral for this test and just bump the wire to the solenoid. Let me know if the cart engine turns over when you do this. Thanks - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 07-21-2016 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: clarified & add next post note.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I happened to be thinking a little more about your problem and before you try the jumper to the solenoid mentioned above, I think it would be a good idea to clean and tighten both terminals and posts on your battery and then give the battery an overnight charge. I just want to be sure we eliminate this area as the potential problem before we do any testing. I see a lot of similar problems posted here that are caused by weak batteries and/or crappy connections. Let me know how it goes. - RAY
Old 07-22-2016, 07:44 AM   #6
tonic405
Not Yet Wild

Ray, I have to say thank you so much for helping me with this. I just can't get it sorted out. It is kinda funny, because your post almost read like a script for everything I did. Last night, I put the battery on the charger and this morning, I do have more power, but when I jump just the larger posts on the solenoid, I still get nothing. I did not disconnect the power from the solenoid, but when I used a jumper from the battery + to the solenoid large post and hit the pedal, the thing did start. It started moving with me straddling the seat leaning over the motor with my foot backward on the pedal! That was exciting! but as soon as I let the jumper off the battery, we went back to nothing. I know I should have jacked the back wheels up, but I didn't so I'm sure it was a good show. Now all of those shenanigans were before I read your post, so I went back and did as you said. I disconnected power to the smaller post and attached the jumper there. The solenoid clicks but nothing else. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

At this point, let me know if your reverse buzzer is working or not. Also take a voltage measurement from A1 of the starter to the heavy terminal on the solenoid (but not the one going to F2 ). Let me know what you find.

PS -As I said previously, make sure you do all your testing with the cart in neutral. This will prevent funny things from
happening .
Old 07-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
tonic405
Not Yet Wild

Okay, the reverse buzzer wasn't buzzing when I put it in reverse, but I tapped on it with a wrench and it started buzzing. When I pushed the pedal it stopped buzzing. I tapped it again and the buzzing started back up and stopped with the press of the pedal. The voltage read 12.9 from A1 on the starter to the large pole on the solenoid.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Looks like you have battery voltage on the solenoid, which is normal. Your observation on the buzzer is confusing, something goofy is going on.!! With battery voltage of 12.9 at the solenoid, the starter should have spun when you connected the jumper to the small solenoid terminal and heard it click. Did you clean the battery terminals and posts? A poor connection could show voltage ok without a load, but when you try to draw current all the voltage shows up at the poor connection.

1. See what the voltage reading is across the small solenoid terminals with the key switch on and accel. pedal pushed. That voltage should be pretty close to whatever the battery terminal voltage is when you push the pedal.

2. Also, if you could repeat the jumper to the solenoid test while monitoring that 12.9 volt reading between A1 and the large solenoid lug. That voltage reading if normal would drop to maybe 9 or 10 volts and the starter should crank. Let me know - RAY
Old 07-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #10
tonic405
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I cleaned the posts and the terminals. On the second test where I monitored the voltage while jumping the solenoid to the battery, the meter went from 12.9 to 0. I don't think I performed the first test correctly because I didn't reconnect the solenoid back to the red wire, but with the key on and pedal depressed the voltage across the small post was 0. I am taking the battery to be tested at the auto parts store. If this whole mess is caused by a bad battery, I'm gonna kick myself.

Tags
solenoid, starter generator, voltage, yamaha g9
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha