lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: solenoid doesn't click switches seem good

Testing the battery at this point sounds like a good idea. The 12.9 volts available to the starter going to 0 when the solenoid picked up would indicate a really sick battery. As I mentioned before, I have seen a lot of similar posts where either the battery or poor connections were the problem. Good luck and let us know the outcome. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #12
tonic405
Not Yet Wild

The battery tested good. The reading over the two smaller poles with the key on and the pedal pushed is 2.1 volts, zero before pushing the pedal.
tonic405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #13
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

So, you are saying the voltage applied to the solenoid is 2.1 volts with key on and pedal pushed!! That is more than a 10 volt drop somewhere that we need to find. I would start by putting a new 10 amp fuse in and see if that cures the problem.

If not, start by putting the negative voltmeter lead on the battery negative (-). Make sure the cart is in neutral with key on and pedal pushed, then take the positive voltmeter lead and take a series of voltage measurements in the key/accel.switch circuit starting with the battery plus (+) and working your way to the solenoid. The 1st voltage you get will be battery volts and as you work toward the solenoid you should encounter a spot with a 10 volt drop in voltage.(that should pinpoint the problem area). Working with your wiring diagram, your 1st voltage check should be directly on the battery + post and the 2nd check should be directly on the battery + terminal, then the hot side of the fuse, then the other side of the fuse etc. etc. (you could do similar testing using an "ice pick" test light instead of a voltmeter). Good luck - RAY
Old 07-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #14
tonic405
Not Yet Wild

So on the hot side of the fuse I get the 12 volts. My fuse is good. On the other side before the reverse switch, it drops. This red wire shows continuity, but the voltage drops. Could the wire show continuity and drain the voltage? The switch seems good and shows continuity.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #15
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sorry for the delay in responding, was away all day.

The reduced voltage on the red wire could be the result of corroded connections or a bad key sw. or pedal sw.(rev. sw. is not a suspect !). I would check the pedal switch first as it lives in a pretty crappy environment. You should make sure the pedal switch terminals are clean and while you have it disconnected you can check the switch with your ohmmeter. You should get very close to 0 ohms on the switch contacts with the pedal depressed. Also, I believe there are a couple of bullet connectors on the pedal switch wires and they should also be checked for corrosion. (Make sure you pull the fuse or disconnect the battery positive (+) before messing with the switch wires). Advise results - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 07-24-2016 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: clarified
Old 07-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #16
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Also, did you try checking voltage on both sides of the fuse (at the fuse). If not, check that also. It almost looks like you have a high resistance fuse . RAY
Old 07-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #17
tonic405
Not Yet Wild

I checked both the key switch and pedal switch and both seem fine and show continuity. To be sure, and I don't know if this was wise or not, but I bypassed them both just to be sure. I didn't remove the fuse or disconnect the battery before doing any of this so now my inexperience is showing. I've replaced the fuse and I'm more conFUSEd than ever!
Old 07-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #18
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

With both switches determined to be ok, did you check those bullet connectors for corrosion? Getting full voltage on both sides of the fuse? The loss of 9 or 10 volts is significant and is probably caused by a much less than perfect connection in the +12 volt feed to the solenoid. Maybe someone else can chime in with suggestions here. RAY
Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #19
tonic405
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all your help. On the other side of the fuse is where I am losing power. The wire that goes from the other side of the fuse ends at the reverse switch and this is the first spot I lose the voltage. I have changed fuses multiple times. Like I said before, I have continuity on the wire that goes from the other side of the fuse to the reverse switch. Could this wire possibly be shorting out?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #20
tonic405
Not Yet Wild

I completely bypassed that wire and still nothing, so clearly that wasn't the problem. The only way I get the solenoid to click is to go directly from the battery to the smaller post.
Maybe I should look for a new wiring harness.

Tags
solenoid, starter generator, voltage, yamaha g9
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha