lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
Coulda-Bought-a-Boat
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default DS Transmission Full of Rust - options?

I purchased a '92 Clubcar DS with a rebuilt 350 engine. Runs great, very little lost speed on hills (and I am not a light fella). New fuel pump, carb, back seat, upholstery, battery, battery tender, brushes on starter, voltage regulator - I did the works to clean it up. Bit of clutch rattle downhill - I'll fix that when it gets worse.

After about a week I went to check the oil levels to make sure everything was clean and topped off. Engine - Spotless. Differential - Good. Transmission - 2 tsp. of brown sludge and metal shavings.

I have changed the oil (80W-90) 4 or 5 times after 20 min runs and its much cleaner now. I know that doesn't fix the problem but I'm hoping it buys me some time for a proper fix.

The big question - what are my options?

I am "mechanically inclined" and would be comfortable rebuilding it but I can only find bearings/seals etc. and not the gearing which I think may be shot.

I have not been able to find another old cart either to buy for scrap or pick parts from.

Any input or suggestions is much appreciated!
Coulda-Bought-a-Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: DS Transmission Full of Rust - options?

Internal parts for those are not available anymore so parts are hard to come by. The only real option is a used transmission.

The good news is the internals in those are pretty tough, so you might be able to get away with just bearings. The only way to know for sure is to pull it apart and look.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
Coulda-Bought-a-Boat
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I guess she's coming apart then. I'll keep searching for a used one at the same time.

I'll try to get some good pictures to post as I haven't been able to find any.
Coulda-Bought-a-Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Luckily you can pull the transmission in about 15 minutes. I think there’s only like 3 bolts holding it in

Chances are the seals are toast and the bearings rusted. New bearings and seals and it should be fine. There really isn’t much to go wrong in there
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, transmission
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car