lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Stripped stud

Ok so in a bit of a pickle. Working on a cart that was in a wreck (dog drove cart into the house, literally). Go to remove the lug nuts so I can get to the brakes, only one of the studs has stripped where it is pressed in the axle. So when I do anything with the lug nut the stud just spins. So now I can get get the wheel off. Any ideas on how to get out of this situation? It's a 2005 Precedent.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stripped stud

If you can't grip the backside with a vice grip then tag weld it to the backing plate and replace it once you get the wheel off
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
sms-shop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

inpact wrench...
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
Boris
DELETED

Take a die grinder and cut one side of the lug-nut off, then take a punch to finish removing the lug-nut

....... then replace the stud
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
K9Kev
Say What ???

E-Z-GO

A stripped Stud you say......

I think this is a question for Boo ?

Sarry....had to throw that out there.
K9Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Drill it.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

As this was a stock wheel that allowed me get to the lug nut from the side, I used a cutoff wheel in a die grinder to remove 90% of the thickness of the nut and bolt, then drilled the lug nut through the remaining threads and popped it off. This would be a real big pain though if this was on one of the custom wheels, I see the only way around this with a custom wheel is to attempt to drill it out.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Boris
DELETED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
As this was a stock wheel that allowed me get to the lug nut from the side, I used a cutoff wheels in a die grinder to remove 90% of the thickness of the nut and bolt, then drilled the lug nut through the remaining threads and popped it off. This would be a really pain though if this was on of the custom wheels, I see only way around this with a custom wheels is to attempt to drive drill it out.
Good deal ........
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Good deal ........
Yes, it was a good deal. Could have been much worse as the cart could have been going faster. The front end had two bent upper control arms that needed replacing. Basically, a lady was sitting on the cart in the drive way on the passenger side, the cart was engaged as her adult son and her were about to leave, he got off the cart as he was closing the garage door. The dog got excited and ran and hopped on the cart, laid down on the floor depressing the accelerator pedal to WOT. The with no one driving the cart learned about 12 feet and into the house at full speed.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
As this was a stock wheel that allowed me get to the lug nut from the side, I used a cutoff wheel in a die grinder to remove 90% of the thickness of the nut and bolt, then drilled the lug nut through the remaining threads and popped it off. This would be a real big pain though if this was on one of the custom wheels, I see the only way around this with a custom wheel is to attempt to drill it out.
That is exactly what I had to do to one of mine. But after grinding off 90%, I just broke it the rest of the way. Again I had stock wheels on it too.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car