lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
skimaniac6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Stripped lug nut

I just encountered a stripped lug (and post I guess). I did a search and found nothing about it (figures), I have a 91 ezgo standard 4 lug set up. How do I solve this problem?
skimaniac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stripped lug nut

#1 question, on the front or rear of the cart ???

#2 question, you DO realize this is payback for cheating with the flywheel, don't you ???
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

(Sorry - I had to....)

OK, chances are that the stud is spinning and the nut isn't stripped, on the front wheel(if that's where it is) you might be able to get at the back of the stud from the rear of the hub and jam an old screwdriver or ??? in there to hold it enough to spin the nut off the other side (probably involve an extra set off hands) - just the first idea that popped into my head.

If it's on the rear, I'd hate to be in your shoes - but if I was, I'd try and split the nut somehow, possibly a dremel with a cutoff wheel or twelve (likely not enough room in there to wield a real grinder) ... The studs actually feed through the end of the axle so there's no real way to get at the back of them that I know of.

Then again, I'm a musician, not a mechanic - there may actually be an easier way that doesn't involve a torch - anybody else have a plan?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
skimaniac6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

to question #1, of course it's the rear what fun would it be if I could always take the easy way out.
As far as #2 your right, that is what I get for cheating
I hope someone has an answer for this.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If the stud is spinning,remove the hub and if you have a welder,put a heavy tack on the stud to lock it to the hub,remove wheel,and knock out stud.then you can replace as needed.If the bore is stripped enough that a new stud won't hold,Look on the Dorman web-site.They have a stud-chart and you should be able to find a comparable stud with a larger shank.Or cheat and weld the stud and forget about it.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
skimaniac6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
If the stud is spinning,remove the hub and if you have a welder,put a heavy tack on the stud to lock it to the hub,remove wheel,and knock out stud.then you can replace as needed.:
So on the rear after I remove the dust cap, cotter pin and nut will the drum slip off with the wheel? I guess I can pull the other side to see if this is possible. Otherwise that doesn't sound too bad.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

******, that's what I get for leaving my cart out in the snow instead of in the garage where I can actually LOOK at it before I go throwing out ideas, good call, Pachanga! (and yes, the drum and wheel should come off together)
Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
victorjohn
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Are you saying you can remove the other 3 nuts and you are left with one nut? Split the nut you can't remove with a dremmel. Then simply push out the problem lug. The other problem is on how to install the replacement.
victorjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The studs just pound in with a hammer and punch,only takes a few seconds.Just hope the hole isn't tore up from the stud spinning.Most of the aftermarket studs have coarser splines so they should seat tight.Like i said earlier,look on Dormans' web-site and match it up,or go to your auto-parts supply and get a replacement.They are about $1.75 each.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
skimaniac6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Looks like it is the stud that is spinning, I'm going to tack it tomorrow and see if I can get the lug off. Thanks for the advise.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO