lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart News and Events > Announcements
Announcements Important information concerning the forum and members.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Default No more stripped ezgo hubs

Hey guy's
Just wanted to let you know of a great new product from Ausco. It's a 2 piece replacement brake hub/drum assembly. Available for both gas or electric carts, So you can finally put a end to replacing inferior OEM cast iron drums.
Check em out.
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/brake-h...zgo-carts.html
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: No more stripped ezgo hubs

looks good. for that price, gorno needs to buy twe sets and sell the old ones to his fellow campers.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You do realize E-Z-GO designed that hub out of soft metal on purpose right? The concept being that it is cheaper to replace a spun hub than to replace a sheared axle half shaft.......

I like the idea, Ausco sent me the literature on these a couple weeks ago, and my first thought was ... cool. After I sat back and thought about it though I decided against carrying them because of the above stated reason.

I am curious though. I assume you have them in inventory. Is the drum the same as the stock Club Car drum?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: No more stripped ezgo hubs

My thoughts also. I like the idea, but!

E-Z-GO did it for a reason. I only assume it's the C/C hub since the only thing differant in the two kits is the E-Z-GO gets the Hub with it where as the C/C doesn't.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If a weak hub is such a good idea why don't all golf carts come with this weakened drive link? I have never seen a stripped Club Car hub or a snapped CC axle due to the lack of a stripped hub? I'm just thinking out loud here.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
You do realize E-Z-GO designed that hub out of soft metal on purpose right? The concept being that it is cheaper to replace a spun hub than to replace a sheared axle half shaft.......

I like the idea, Ausco sent me the literature on these a couple weeks ago, and my first thought was ... cool. After I sat back and thought about it though I decided against carrying them because of the above stated reason.

I am curious though. I assume you have them in inventory. Is the drum the same as the stock Club Car drum?
NOT TRUE

Although this sounds logical, It would be great if the engineers thought like that. It's a cost issue, Cast iron is cheaper. Plus EZGO sells more replacement parts that way. Dana/Spicer builds the same rear end which is used in more than 1 brand of cart. (EZGO and Yamaha for example) Yamaha uses a stronger hub. Dana tried to sell EZGO the better hub, Ezgo said they did not want to spend the extra few bucks. You don't see Yamaha's stripping hubs and I have never replaced a Yamaha or Club Car axle. By the way it helps to have a connection at Dana to provide some of this great info. As for the drums, Ausco said they were not happy with the quality of the drums sold by Nivel and others so they were going to make there own.

You think Club Car built the Precedent with self tapping sheet metal screws because it was stronger than the nuts and bolts used in the DS? If they can save $2 a cart in materials or assembly labor, and they sell a million carts. Thats 2 million dollars more profit. Sorry to say but its a disposable world.

I just had to replace a $150 MCOR in a Club Car because the $3 micro switch in it went bad. I can't see where the OEMs are engineering things to be repaired cheaper. LOL
Old 07-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If a weak hub is such a good idea why don't all golf carts come with this weakened drive link? I have never seen a stripped Club Car hub or a snapped CC axle due to the lack of a stripped hub? I'm just thinking out loud here.
The difference there is that the hub on a CC is WELDED to the axle. There are no splines to strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
NOT TRUE

Although this sounds logical, It would be great if the engineers thought like that. It's a cost issue, Cast iron is cheaper. Plus EZGO sells more replacement parts that way. Dana/Spicer builds the same rear end which is used in more than 1 brand of cart. (EZGO and Yamaha for example) Yamaha uses a stronger hub. Dana tried to sell EZGO the better hub, Ezgo said they did not want to spend the extra few bucks. You don't see Yamaha's stripping hubs and I have never replaced a Yamaha or Club Car axle. By the way it helps to have a connection at Dana to provide some of this great info. As for the drums, Ausco said they were not happy with the quality of the drums sold by Nivel and others so they were going to make there own.

You think Club Car built the Precedent with self tapping sheet metal screws because it was stronger than the nuts and bolts used in the DS? If they can save $2 a cart in materials or assembly labor, and they sell a million carts. Thats 2 million dollars more profit. Sorry to say but its a disposable world.

I just had to replace a $150 MCOR in a Club Car because the $3 micro switch in it went bad. I can't see where the OEMs are engineering things to be repaired cheaper. LOL
Hey, remember, I used to work for E-Z-GO so I am just using the information that was provided to me at the time. Your arguement makes sense, to be honest, Yamaha is not a popular cart in my area so I rarely work on them. As for the quality of Nivel's drums, don't make me laugh... I just had to return 10 of them to Nivel that came warped right out of the box......
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yamaha is a better example... they use the same Dana rear in many models.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Correct Club Car is welded, Ever seen one with a twisted off / broken axle?
The Yamaha is the same rear end as ezgo.
Most of my info was provided by Dana/Spicer employee who sold rear ends to E-Z-GO and Yamaha.

He told me that while at E-Z-GO he had to prove to the engineer that there were 3 different spline sizes in production. E-Z-GO Engineer swore there were only 2 sizes. Although the 2 sizes are more popular, apparently there are 3 different sizes.

Upgrading a cart will find the weak spots. Take a guy like Scottyb. He'll take out a wimpy little sparky motor and throw in somthing BIG with a massive matched controller and some monster cables. Maybe even some billet hubs and brakes. Scotty ever twist off a axle? Still not enough of a test? how about a 60 HP Big Block. Rabbit Not sure how long ago you worked for E-Z-GO but I'm sure you will agree now a days the OEMs are more about the bottom line then quality.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: No more stripped ezgo hubs

I have twisted off 3 of them in the same cart. Using 12 volt batteries!
The orignal axle lasted 3 years of very hard playing! The other 2 lasted less than 6 months each. I striped the cart and sold the frame. The metal in those last axles where just sorry metal I think. One was a cheap metal and the last one was E-Z-GO. The twisted end was on the same axle.

Here is the cart they were in.

What I built it for!
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart News and Events > Announcements