lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Hagar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Intermitent Forward Reverse Problem

I have a 2005 EZGO TXT. I have an intermittent problem that I think is in the Forward/Reverse switch. It seems to happen most often when someone gets on the cart and places the selector in either forward or reverse. The cart won't go. It also has stopped in the middle of the driveway while it was moving. Raising the seat and jiggling the rod between the selector and the switch usually fixes the problem though sometimes only for a short time. I have removed the cover and checked the micro switches and checked the rod for play and I have studied the wiring diagrams but I haven't figured exactly what's happening in the circuit. Does anyone have any guidance for troubleshooting and repair?
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Intermitent Forward Reverse Problem

Welcome to BGW.

When the cart is misbehaving, does the solenoid click when the pedal is pushed?
If not, look for Battery voltage at the solenoid coil terminal with the two red wires on it and walk your DVM back until you find it.
I suspect the Reed Switch, but it could be any of the four switches, or any of the wires connecting them.

Here's a schematic with the KSI (Key Switch & Interlock) circuit traced out. Red is B+ Green is B-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series with KSI traced.JPG (58.9 KB, 21 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Hagar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Intermitent Forward Reverse Problem

Johnnie,

Thanks for the advice and the schenatic. I had found some schematics but none of them seemed to be my cart. If I can get it to quit this weekend I will get my Meter out and findout where the problem is. My wife has had a couple of stress fractures in her feet so she uses this to get around the property. It usually quits when she is driving it. I will let you know the outcome when I find the problem. I've been an aircraft electrician for almost 50 years so I am confident that I can find the problem now that you have helped me understand the system.

Byron
Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
..............I've been an aircraft electrician for almost 50 years so I am confident that I can find the problem..............
I'm confident you can also.

For people with a technical background, carts are actually pretty simple machines.
The running gear is basically out of the automobile design handbooks from the 40s, with mechanical brakes from the 20s.
The only things that use much more than legacy technology are the speed controller and ITS throttle. Other than that, it's batteries, wires, switches and electric motors.
It takes a while to get your brain in sync with the high current that flows in the motor circuit, but as long as you remember total current flows through every point in a series circuit, troubleshooting is easy.

Here's a generic drawing of the high current circuit. Machines don't get much simpler than this.

If you haven't already, download the three .pdf files in the post from the stickies at the top of this forum. (Lots of good info in the stickies - check them out)
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
They are the Owner, Service and Parts manuals for your cart. (Unless it has been modified, but the basics are still the same)

Also, read everything with "Battery" in the title on this site.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

And just for good measure, here are a couple thingies from Trojan Battery. (Tons of good info)

What kind of battery charger do you have? Might have some info on it too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi Current Circuit - Series Motor - EDITED.JPG (63.6 KB, 9 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TRJN0109_TRJNUsersGuide.pdf (689.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf TRJN0111_ProdSpecGuide.pdf (484.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Hagar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Intermitent Forward Reverse Problem

Thanks Johnnie,

I have been looking for all of that information. I have a Lester 36 volt 25900 Type 36 EL 21-6.

I found my problem this weekend. It was the Micro switch on the Forward /Reverse assy. After I identified the correct switch I drove the cart until it stopped and I held the pedal down. I checked the voltage and both terminals and both read 37.6 volts. There must been a poor connection on the switch. I then reached down and pressed the switch and the cart started so that had to be my intermittent problem. It has worked fine since I replaced the switch. The switch Part Number that was on the Cart was hard to find but I went down to a local EZ GO repairman and he had P/N Z-15GW22-B7-K. It is Identical to the one on the cart except it has the Common, Normally Closed and Normally Open terminals. The one on the cart only had the Common and Normally Closed terminals on it. I have seen some posts on this site looking for the switch. I couldn't find the original switch on the internet other than wholesale.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Owner/Service.parts manual for your charger is available on-line also.

Glad to hear you found it.

I find it interesting that a golf cart's operation is dependent on the little bitty springs inside microswitches, but I guess it is safer to have the most common failure mode turn the machine off rather than on.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Hagar
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You're right sometimes the failure mode is everything. I work on aircraft and many times it is the failure mode that creates the hazard.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
crachic
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB,

I am having an issue with my 96 EZ-GO cart where it intermittently stops when I switch from reverse to forward or even vice versa.

When this happens, I take the seat off, flick a connector and get back on and it runs fine.

Your comment about "When the cart is misbehaving, does the solenoid click when the pedal is pushed?"

My answer to this question is yes. It clicks once and then it does nothing until I flick the wire and make it go again. Even is I step on the pedal, it will not click again.

What is potentially wrong with this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
crachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crachic View Post
JohnnieB,

I am having an issue with my 96 EZ-GO cart where it intermittently stops when I switch from reverse to forward or even vice versa.

When this happens, I take the seat off, flick a connector and get back on and it runs fine.

Your comment about "When the cart is misbehaving, does the solenoid click when the pedal is pushed?"

My answer to this question is yes. It clicks once and then it does nothing until I flick the wire and make it go again. Even is I step on the pedal, it will not click again.

What is potentially wrong with this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
You make conflicting statements. It sounds like the answer to JohnnyB's question is really "no".

When you "flick a connector", or "flick the wire", where is this connector/wire located?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
crachic
Not Yet Wild

The question he posed was to another user. I was just using that as a statement as part of my issue.

When the golf cart is not working and I step on the gas pedal for the first time, I hear a small click sound coming out of there the wires are.

The wire I flick is where the solenoid is. It is on the passenger side of the cart, right below the seat. There is a black box covering the wires.

Hope this helps.

Chad
crachic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diagnosis, electrical problem, ezgo electric, forward reverse, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO